Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I am having an issue sharing a sub folder in a shared partition between linux and windows. I have been able to share (to my roomates) folders in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

trying to share in home network

Hi All,

I am having an issue sharing a sub folder in a shared partition between linux and windows. I have been able to share (to my roomates) folders in my pure linux drive but when I try to share my /windows partition (shared between xp and linux) I have a bit of a problem, that being that it shares the entire partition instead of the sub folder inside (I CANNOT have the whole partition shared). This happens even when I right click the sub folder inside and share it to the windows network (the folder is /windows/share) but it just shares /windows which is a problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all

jmadero

not clear , what do you mean by share, i mean you use nfs or samba or .. ? and also you said /windows/share, is this inside your windows box ! since the name sounds like a Linux directory .

Regards.
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.

Sharing

I ended up just formatting that drive in windows because it wouldn't share correctly. I am using Samba and the issue was with a shared partition between XP and linux (the D:/ in windows and mounted to /windows in linux). I didn't want to share the entire partition (I have private stuff that I don't want my roomates to have access to) but I did want specific subfolders inside the partition to be shared. The issue was when I clicked "share folder" in linux on a subfolder it would auto share the entire /windows instead of sharing /windows/shared. I had it as a fat32 and now have it as a NTFS and the subfolder sharing works correctly now. I'm not sure if it was a mount issue (now the drive is mounted to /media/shared and I am sharing /media/shared/shared (subfolder in my partition).

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close