Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have 2 computers running Windows Vista (I know it sucks) and a third computer that I want to use as a server and to share files with. In the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What Linux is best for Vista network?

I have 2 computers running Windows Vista (I know it sucks) and a third computer that I want to use as a server and to share files with. In the past I have had Ubuntu on that computer, but after going to vista the Ubuntu machine can not connect to the Vista machines files. I am wondering what is the best version of Linux to run. The computer is an old one, pentium 3, 256 mb RAM. I use it to run a webpage off of with apache, to connect to from remote locations, and to share files with the Windows machines. What version of Linux will work best for what I am using it for?

256MB RAM is a bit less for all major distros. Upgrade it to 512MB if possible and all distros will work fine. In case, you want to use 256MB RAM only then any lightweight distro will work fine. Check this Poll on fav distro for Servers.
    Try as many as you can. You have to decide yourself. Check the link in my signature too.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First