Find the answer to your Linux question:
i have been able to configure my personal laptop with ubuntu to ssh to linux network at work (they use openlab) I had to change my ip address to connect ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

connecting to network, but not the internet

i have been able to configure my personal laptop with ubuntu to ssh to linux network at work (they use openlab) I had to change my ip address to connect to their network (maybe there was a better way to do that?) Anyways, i can now connect to the network but I cannot connect to the internet. I have tried configuring my dns but with no luck (to be honest the dns thing confuses me, so I'm probably not doing it correctly). Now that I have connected the network, how do I connect to the internet?

Help is appreciated.

Does this open network use DHCP? IF so use that instead of a static ip and it should configure your dns server also.

To configure your DNS look at the resolve.conf file that should be with your other conf files. The foramt is simple

Fist line will be the domains that you want appended to any host you are trying to look up. the next lines will be the ip addresses of the nds servers you want to use.

ex:

search domain1.com domain2.com domain3.com etc....
    nameserver 10.10.10.1
    nameserver 10.10.10.2
    nameserver 10.10.10.2

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted