Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello everyone, I've installed Fedora 7 on my computer. Unfortunately the wireless card that i have is not compatible with the operating system. The type of the card is the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Cool Problem with wireless card

Hello everyone,

I've installed Fedora 7 on my computer. Unfortunately the wireless card that i have is not compatible with the operating system. The type of the card is the following:

Wireless-G
    2.4 GHZ 802.11g
    WMP54G

Could you please help me solve this problem?

P.S I have to admit that this is my first attempt to install a Linux operating system, so could you please provide me all the neccessary information in order to install the driver? (where i could possibly find the driver, changes that i have to make after downloading it, hints e.t.c)

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    You need to check what chipset the card uses in order to figure out how to make the card work in Linux. To do this enter the commands
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci | grep -i net
    Post back the output.

output

Hello Daark.Child

00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82566DM Network Connection (rev 0.2)
    07:09.0 Netwrok controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11q Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Your wireless card uses a broadcom 4318 chipset. This article and this one may help you setup the wireless connection.

Thanks Daark.child. I will check the information you've sent me and i will let you Know if it was helpfull.

Unhappy Wirelles -G

Unfortunately i didn't manage to install the wireless card with the information you've sent me. Instead i found a site of how to install the card which is exactly the card that i would like to install. The site is the follwing:

maxp.net : computers : Installing the Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter (WMP54G) under Linux

I followed the information post to this site step by step but i have a problem when i reached at the step 4 the part build :

cp defconfig .config
    make

I typed this these commands on my terminal but unfortunately it didn't work. The outcome after typing the previous commands is the following:

"make: *** No rule to make target 'config.o', needed by 'wpa_supplicant'. Stop. "

Could you help me ?

Red face Install Wireless card to Fedora

I recently made the installation of Fedora 7 on my computer. Unfortunately i have a problem with my wireless card.
    I found a site of how to install the card which is exactly the card that i would like to install. The site is the follwing:

maxp.net : computers : Installing the Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter (WMP54G) under Linux

I followed the information post to this site step by step but i faced a problem when i reached at the step 4 - the build part :

cp defconfig .config
    make

I typed these commands on my terminal but unfortunately it didn't work. The outcome after typing the previous commands is the following:

"make: *** No rule to make target 'config.o', needed by 'wpa_supplicant'. Stop. "

Could anyone help me ?

Quote Originally Posted by Thodoros View Post
    Unfortunately i didn't manage to install the wireless card with the information you've sent me. Instead i found a site of how to install the card which is exactly the card that i would like to install. The site is the follwing:

I followed the information post to this site step by step but i have a problem when i reached at the step 4 the part build :

cp defconfig .config
    make

I typed this these commands on my terminal but unfortunately it didn't work. The outcome after typing the previous commands is the following:

Could you help me ?
    But your card is a Broadcom, that is for a Ralink, so I don't think it is going to work anyway. :/

Both daark.child and paintballer were right. My card is supported by broadcom as Daark.child mentioned and not RT as paintballer pointed out correctly. Due to a lot of problems i've encountered while trying to apply the information Daark.child sent me i decided to do a little searching my self. I found that there is a way to install the drivers for windows.
    Followed all the steps from the site of sourceforge:

NDISwrapper

but stuck at the point

Extracting drivers from EXEs or CAB files

Could you please help me?

You can use cabextract. Another option is to look for cards that are natively supported by Linux e.g. those that use the ralink rtX chipset.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast