Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi , I just got a new HDD and thought I would take this chance to reinstall fedoracore 1 which I use primarily for testing my web-work on , I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

network troubleshooting , where to start

Hi , I just got a new HDD and thought I would take this chance to reinstall fedoracore 1 which I use primarily for testing my web-work on , I work/develop in XP and run apache/PHP/MySQL on Fedora for testing.

Since I reinstalled Fedora (no differently that I remember from the original installation) anything going through the network is slow , samba & apache both take ages to display large pages / directories etc , though it always gets through eventually.

I appreciate that its probably not that straightforward ... but where do I start ?

I turned iptables , sendmail etc off on fedora , I used my old httpd.conf & samba configs still no joy.

I know its not a hardware or cable issue as if I stick my old hard drive back in it all works as before.

any pointers at where to start looking ? ..note I ran nmap & mtr & a few other things but I don't know what I am looking for in the first place

.................................................. .................................

Alternatively... lets say I put my new HDD as a slave , can I transfer some of the folders say /home /var /usr etc to the new drive ? freeeing up space on the 4gig I have which apart from being full works just fine ?

all pointers appreciated!

Re: network troubleshooting , where to start

Quote Originally Posted by kudino
    Alternatively... lets say I put my new HDD as a slave , can I transfer some of the folders say /home /var /usr etc to the new drive ? freeeing up space on the 4gig I have which apart from being full works just fine ?
    Yes. You can do that, though the best way may be to boot a LiveCD and copy them over, then change the /etc/fstab on your old drive before booting from that drive.

I'm not sure about the network slow-down...I can't think of anything that could be causing that.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Newbie
    Does your network happen to be wireless? You could be hitting some interference somewhere.

If it isn't, you should check your network cables. If you made them, or if they are old, you may be getting some crosstalk. If minor enough, packets will still get through, but it may take multiple sends for them to get there.

Try pinging your other machine endlessly, and watch if all the packets are getting through. Also watch the response time of the machine. If it isn't very consistent, you might want to try using other network hardware, including switching out your cables.

That is all I can think of... I don't know anything software that would be causing it.

Robert Peaslee
    Taking a walk on the wonderful path computers have lain before me

Just Joined!
    hmm what is your linux name ?
    you can cek it with typing hostname if i'm not wrong...

if you have allready know your computer name.. then try to cek the /etc/hosts , try to cat /etc/hosts

the list will show somethnig like 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost etc

and one of the name that map there.. should be you computer name...

just try to cek it first