Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
one thing though, I'm not that familiar with networking (which is probably more than half my problem). how does one specify the ISP nameserver, do I have to call up ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

one thing though, I'm not that familiar with networking (which is probably more than half my problem). how does one specify the ISP nameserver, do I have to call up my ISP and ask them? after I determine this I just type the info into /etc/resolv.conf replacing where it currently says "Apartment"? (which is the name my room mate gave the router). I'm deffinitely starting to get frustrated with this problem thanks for all of the help. also, is there anything else you need to know to help diagnose the problem?

If you don't know your ISP's nameservers, let me give a different suggestion for now. Put the following in /etc/resolv.conf:
    Code:
    nameserver 208.67.222.222
    nameserver 208.67.220.220
    Make sure there is nothing else in the file, and save it. Now does firefox work correctly?

(Those nameserver are provided by OpenDNS by the way.)

well, I got my internet fixed, I reinstalled ubuntu from a live CD I had laying around and it started working like a charm! regretfully, I have a lot of work left to do to get my system back the way I like it, but as Machiavelli once said, the ends justify the means. Thanks for all of the good advice (especially from Anomie!) This has been a great crash course in linux networking for me (it turns out netcat is a pretty cool little program!) anyway, problem solved! cheers!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2