Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I had my home network up and running perfectly, just a simple network, sharing a few folders between a couple Ubuntu machines, a XP machine and a Vista ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

home network

Hi All,

I had my home network up and running perfectly, just a simple network, sharing a few folders between a couple Ubuntu machines, a XP machine and a Vista machine....everything worked perfect but then...everyone can see my computer, I can't see theirs....irritating the hell out of me (I haven't changed any settings, just stopped working all of the sudden). The weird thing is that the problem is inconsistent, right now I go into "network", click on "Windows Network" and nothing is inside, prior to a reboot a few minutes ago I would see MSHOME inside of windows network but didn't see any computers in (even though three systems were on and sharing), then another time I rebooted and saw MSHOME but when I clicked on it it wouldn't open for me....any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

It sounds to me like you're running XP home. There are networking limitations to this operating system, and you'll run into problems from time to time. It cannot, for instance, exist on a Domain, and has to use the 'MSHOME' workgroup. There are other networking issues too, try googling around for info on this.

My advice here would be to junk Windows XP Home and get an operating system that's up to the task. I use XP Pro exclusively at home for machines that have to have Windows. Everything else is Linux.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

XP Pro

I am running Ubuntu 99% of the time but I am dual booting with XP Pro not XP Home, no one in the apartment has XP Home. I actually got the problem solved although it makes no sense why it fixed it. I booted into XP and wasn't able to see the MSHOME network so I readded it, rebooted into linux, and problem was fixed. I don't know why changing settings in my xp boot would fix my linux boot....

Could be down to the machine that is the domain/workgroup master browser. If the machine that tried to do the job was off, then maybe no machines could find the browse list for the workgroup. You might find it good to put an old machine together, set it up with Samba, force it to be domain master browser, and leave it running.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/