Find the answer to your Linux question:
openSuse10.3 server + winxp clients. how do i configure my users to access from any machine in the LAN using the same credentials??...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

openSuse+winxp friendship!!

openSuse10.3 server + winxp clients. how do i configure my users to access from any machine in the LAN using the same credentials??

I did this with my CentOS server and windows XP clients in a full-on domain. I used an LDAP database (I used Fedora DS because it's easier to manage than OpenLDAP, in my opinion).

You don't have to do this with an LDAP server though; you can have Samba handle your domain authentication through the regular password mechanisms.

But you do need a windows domain. That's where the problems arise; this is not a trivial matter. You need to start by understanding a little about how windows domains work, how Samba handles authentication of windows machines on the LAN and how the password mechanisms for the linux server itself work.

Provided you have proper user accounts on the server, and a Samba password system that communicates smoothly with it, you can enable a domain which will allow all users to log onto windows with authentication from the Unix user account.

I suggest you take some time to read up on this lengthy subject. There were some documents on the official Samba site that really helped me when I set mine up, and I went from NIS authentication and local windows accounts overnight to full domain with unified Unix/Windows accounts across the board.

Don't let me put you off either; it's really not that complicated to get the basics working, but it really does help to understand how the windows domains work, and how samba handles it's end of the deal.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    thanx rox. i will take ur advice and read up on samba and ldap. can u still help me with the nis config.

NIS is really easy, but if you're going to do this with LDAP, then you dont need to worry about it. If you use the 'authconfig' tool, you can make your linux box authenticate against it's own running LDAP database anyway - my server has no user accounts in the /etc/shadow-/etc/passwd-/etc/groups file trio, they're all in the FedoraDS LDAP database.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/