Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello, I have flashed my WRT54GS router with the tomato firmware ( Tomato Firmware | polarcloud.com ), which comes with dnsmasq pre-installed. They stated that I can use dnsmasq with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how to setup dnsmasq for parental control?

hello, I have flashed my WRT54GS router with the tomato firmware (Tomato Firmware | polarcloud.com), which comes with dnsmasq pre-installed. They stated that I can use dnsmasq with OpenDNS for parental control, but my search for a tutorial on how to accomplish this has proven futile.
    I basically want to filter adult web sites. Do I have to enter each said site or how would it work?

Alternatively, I also have a VOIP server setup with CentOS. Would there be some other free solution where I could install it on my VOIP server and just route the DNS traffic from certain computers through the VOIP server and the parental control solution/software?
    I want to avoid installed a parental software on the individual pc's since the kids nowadays are quite smart in circumventing it.

Thanks, appreciate any response

You can use a couple of things to filter out Adult websites.
    Id do it with Squid if Id were you. Since (in my eyes) its the most powerfull Proxy in the Linux world.
    if you have a SquidBox between your PC and the Inet. And you HAVE to go through that box to get to the inet id use Squid.
    Since you can put Time Limiters on there then. So (I dont know how you are I whould not do this but maybe you want to) can enable that after 2AM you can access adult sites till 5AM or Block Content.
    So when a Picture is called. "naughty.gif" it will be blocked.
    You can also Log what happens. And you can EVEN make sure that if you have more PCs on the network. That some pcs only have access before time x till time x.

If you need ANY help with securing your Children from the Inet tell me. I am working on lots of Projects for that. (eg a Instant Mesanger Sniffer that searches for Dirty words so you are sure they wont get into hands of sick basterds)

I hope I can help.

Cheers,
    Robin
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the quick reply, Robin.
    So how would I setup the Squid?

Modem -> SquidBox -> Router

or can I also use the following?

Modem -> Router -> SquidBox

If it has to be the former, I presume I would need 2 ethernet cards (one for input from Modem and one for output to Router).
    As aforementioned, I currently use an older P4 as VoIP server with CentOS. Could I just download the Squid RPM and install it there, hence the VOIP PBX and Squid running simultaneously?

Sorry for so many questions, but I'd consider myself a beginner in Linux, though I can follow a tutorial/instruction fairly well.

Well yea you can put it on the VOIPBox.
    But I think you have it like this:
    PC -> router
    | /
    Voip

Since if so then your kids can change the Proxy settings in Firefox to not use Squid.
    And yea Squid can be anywere between your PC and the Inet.
    Id buy a Mini-ITX if I were you with 2 Network Ports and make it a Security Point (also add Snort + ClamAV + SpamAssassin + IPtables)
    and the place it anywere BETWEEN the PC and the Inet.
    Aslong as they have to travel through the box to access the internet and cant go in ANY other way it will be fine
    Google first, then ask..

Just Joined!
    Thanks Robin. One more question: Is it possible to set the DNS to be used by each MAC address in the router? Or can I only set one general DNS to be used by everyone?

Not sure.
    I think you can do that with Squid
    You might want to read the Documatation I always do that when i want to set something up..

Cheers
    Google first, then ask..

Just Joined!
    Thanks, I've setup squid with Dansguardian and so far it's been working fairly well. I can notice the sites taking a millisecond longer to load; I have not enabled caching either. Perhaps it's my computer hardware: P4 1.5Ghz, 80GB IDE HDD with 384MB SD-Ram.

Yea I guess. But I should enable Cache you really nottice the diffrence.
    you have 80 gig so 10Gig Cache is a load
    Google first, then ask..

Quote Originally Posted by papaborat View Post
    Thanks Robin. One more question: Is it possible to set the DNS to be used by each MAC address in the router? Or can I only set one general DNS to be used by everyone?
    I'm not sure I get the point. Do you want to use different DNS for different MAC addresses? That's possible with a Linux DNS but not with a HW router.
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect." Linus Benedict Torvalds

Just Joined!
    Thank you Robin and framp for the clarification