Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I realized that my network connections is pretty slow under Fedora 2, kernel 2.6.5. With RedHat 9, kernel 2.4.x ieverything was ok! How can I downgrade to kernel 2.4.x ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Slow internet with Fedora Core 2, kernel 2.6.5

Hi, I realized that my network connections is pretty slow under Fedora 2, kernel 2.6.5. With RedHat 9, kernel 2.4.x ieverything was ok! How can I downgrade to kernel 2.4.x under Fedora 2 to get by eth card workin properly.

Linux Engineer
    i think with compiling your kernel.to do that go to kernel.org download the kernel you want and a manual for doing that and try.
    otherwise you can use in /usr/linux-version make xconfig to choose to unload some modules or to see what your kernel loads up
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    well first of all, are you resolving IP information via DHCP ? I had the same problem and I disabled the IPv6 protocol and it worked faster.
    downgrading the kernel, simple, download a kernel from www.kernel.org and compile it at your box

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

ipv6 issue???

I had pretty similar problem a few days ago. and, I resolved that problem.

I guess that happens because it takes too much time to 'resolve host' on your web browser when you visit new site. It is ipv6 issue. I guess your DNS server does not correspond with ipv6 well.

solution:
    you can compile your kernel again without ipv6 support
    or,
    just simply remove /lib/modules/<your current kernel>/kernel/net/ipv6 folder. <-- fedore core 2.
    and reboot your OS.

I recomand the first solution to secure your system, but the second one is also working for me. notice--> after that, your system will not support ipv6. see another solution if you are using ipv6.

I hope you solve your problem.

what exactly does ipv6 do? Are their any benifits?
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    IPv6 is an extension of IPv4 protocol (something like that). It was designed for extending IP addresses because in the near future we would not have available IPs. So normally IPv4 is 32bit, IPv6 is 128bit using HEX-Decimal system instead of Decimal.

Thx guys, I killed all IPv6 modules and problem is solved. Is it already in Bugzilla?