Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, im kinda new to Linux even though Ive played with it a little for a couple of years. I Installed Fedora 8 on my desktop as a dual ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cool Network browsing HELP!

Hi everyone, im kinda new to Linux even though Ive played with it a little for a couple of years. I Installed Fedora 8 on my desktop as a dual boot system, so I have windows xp as my other os. I started with the live CD to take a look at it and installed from there. On the live cd boot everything looked and worked fine, I could doubble click on the computer icon and brows my network (I have a small home network with a wireless router and a NAS. After installing fedora 8 i can under no circumstanses browse my network...I get as far as the windows network icon and after that nothing shows up. Ive searched all over the net for help and run into a lot of samba setup stuff and ive tried everything i can to find my workgroup on the network...ive disabled the firewall and selinux and nothing works. The funny thing is that the live cd didnt even have samba running...no smb in the services but I could brows my network without any problems. Do you guys have any idea why this works fine with the live cd and no after the install. I have the windows server packages installed and all the services that were running on the live cd are running on the installed one.[/I]

Just Joined!

Question Problem browsing/seeing windows network

Hi guys, really hope you can help.

I have a small home network with wireless router and a NAS...I installed FC8 on my desktop through a live CD and I cant find my stuff on the windows network...the folder is blank...no workgroup or anything!! I installed the Windows server packages

When I ran the live CD I could browse my network without any problems, it found the workgroup imediately....but nothing after the instillation. The live CD had no visible samba running or installed.

Im not trying to share anything on my linux desktop I just want to be able to browse my network folders.

Any idea why this worked so well with the live CD boot and not after I installed it??

Thank you.

Linux Newbie
    Hi,

Try this to test the connection with other computer: in konqueror (the KDE file manager) write the URL: smb://the_ip_of_some_windows_machine ... and if you can see the shared resources in the winbox, at least your connection is ok...

Hugo
    EOF

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanx, i have a connection to the router and the NAS, i even connected and browsed the NAS with smbclient and worked fine, I can even mount them manually from command line with: mount -t cifs ......... But I cant just browse with the desktop tools like the Gnomes Computer>Network>Windows Network etc. I have libsmgclient installed so it should work with the desktop tools right? Is it a .smb or smb.config problem and why did it work on the live CD??

Thanx for your reply though

Just Joined!
    Problem fixed, seems to have been a firewall issue the samba service wasnt trusted or it seems to work after I set the samba as a trusted service. The wierd thing is that it didnt work with the firewall disabled??