Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: Ready to hit me with a stick yet?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 20.00%
  • No

2 40.00%
  • Hit you? Heck, Im in the same boat.

0 0%
  • You AGAIN? Where is that whacking stick??? (Dolda2000)

2 40.00%
I read through this article trying to set up my ethernet card to talk to my Win2k box so I can use internet and move and see files and what ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Debian to Windows via Eth0? (lengthy Link included.

I read through this article trying to set up my ethernet card to talk to my Win2k box so I can use internet and move and see files and what not.
    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/re...ateway.en.html
    I think the section 10.2.1 & 10.2.2 are what I need to set it up but I dont quite get the whole gateway, ipaddress, broadcast thing. I get a little confused as well about which computer they are refering to. In my case the win2k I think is the host (and established computer) and the connection to the net. I am trying to connect my Debian box to the Win2k box via the ethernet cards. It has an IP and subnet mask set at
    192.168.0.1 and
    with no gateway or DNS (???) numbers selected.
    First do I need to add those numbers for gateway or DNS on the windows box? Suggestions as to what I should add?
    Second, I think I can see how to properly change the entries on the Debian box via link instructions, but am not sure what I need. Are those the entries of the linux box or the windows box I am connecting to? Suggestions?
    What does that gateway number DO??? Also, do I need such a number on the linux box?
    What is that broadcast number for and do?
    What does the DNS number refer to or do?
    Ack!

Linux Newbie

smileys

Its the smileys that drove ya all away right?
    Ack!

wow, im just overwhelmed, can you ask a question.... like ' i have a debian system that i want to connect throught my win2k system to the internet' then all the info.... right now im just plain confused, not for lack of wanting to help, but im lost........
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    When talking about networks, any computer is called a "host". It's just another name for a computer on a network.

The gateway IP address (in your case 192.168.0.1) is the IP address that your Windows machine has on the local network. That is, your Windows machine's ethernet card should be set to the IP address 192.168.0.1, and that should also be set as the gateway IP address on your Linux box. This tells the Linux box what computer to talk to when it wants to find any other networks (in this case, the Internet).

The subnet mask should be set on both your Windows machine's ethernet card and your Linux machine's. This basically tells your computers "how big" your 192.168.0.* subnet is. I'll leave out the mathematical specifics (it involves converting the IP address and subnet mask to binary) and just say that 255.255.255.0 means that all NICs on the subnet have the same first three numbers in the IP address (192.168.0) and different last numbers (1-255).

The DNS address tells your machine what computer to talk to when it wants to find the corresponding IP address for the hostname www.beer.com (or any other hostname for that matter). This should be provided by your ISP, and if your Windows box is accessing the Internet just fine, then you already have one. To find out what it is, look at the properties of your Internet connection in Windows. Once you have one, or two, type them into your /etc/resolv.conf file on the Linux box.

Now that you know what all these addresses mean, you should be able to follow the instructions on your walkthrough. Let us know if you have any more trouble. Good luck!

P.S. TCP/IP For Dummies is a quality book on TCP/IP. A firm grounding in TCP/IP is indispensible for setting up and maintaining networks, so I suggest you read a good book on the subject. Internet tutorials and message boards can fill in the gaps in your knowledge, but a book is much, much better for building your knowledge of TCP/IP from the ground up.
    Situations arise because of the weather,
    And no kinds of love are better than others.

Linux Newbie

Questions? Just a few.

Hmmm, well I seem to be able to adjust things via the link pretty well. But in the link above at 10.2.1 in the example the bottom line that shows up after doing the command #route, it refters to the network as 10.0.0.0 and subnet as 255.0.0.0. Im not sure what I am to put there. Do I just pick a network name or what? I also thought my netmask was 255.255.255.0. Hmmm.

Secondly, shouldnt there be a setup at some time to indicate the username and password on the other computer? Also what workgroup name the link is on? This is just based from me looking at what the WIN2k does to set up connections.

Also, how do I test this connection? What programs do we use to look at files on the windows machine? Am new to linux so I don't know.

Lastly I couldnt set up the DNS address because my internet connection (dialup) sets up the DNS addresses automatically on connection. so I guess they change.

I tried to limit my questions from my state of DEER IN HEADLIGHTS. I have many more, but Im trying to ask the bigger ones now.
    Ack!