Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hi.. i need help setting up a simple network in my house using 3 computer's..i m new to settin up network in a linux environment.. i would like to set ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

help setting up simple Network..........

hi..
    i need help setting up a simple network in my house using 3 computer's..i m new to settin up network in a linux environment..
    i would like to set up the network using red hat linux 9.0
    my comp configs are...

1-laptop with AMD 64 bit 3400 pro 512 meg's Ram
    2-Desktop with Pentuim III 500Mhz pro 256 megs ram
    3-Desktop with Pentium IV 3.4Mhz pro HT 256 megs

al with network cards..and i got wifi , bluetooth enabled in laptop..

i just wanna know where to start and what other hardware do i need to set up a network.and i also will be sharing internet connection between those.i will be using a cable modem.

so pleas guide me how to start up with..what installation req are needed and what services should i run on my server..there are a lot of sevices that run in background..how do i detect ad stop..
    please tell me what additional hardware is needed and how much does it cost(switches or hubs)..
    i m also planning to hav a firewall..
    i use this network for testing purpose and security checks on linux..i m a starter in linux so plz tell me in detail..

i hav already got used to the linux environment and i can do some basic thngs..
    thank u,
    Fr3@k

This is a complicated project for one post, but a few more questions, you mention a server, do you need/want one?
    2)Is this network going to be wi-fi for the laptop?
    3)Will you be using one of the computers as a switch/gateway/firewall or a separate nat (d-link/linksys)
    -----------
    Personaly I would not recommend using redhat 9, its becoming a little outdated. If you want the redhat name, Fedora is the brach of redhat that is more geared tword the open source community. Personaly I would recommend either Mandrake, or Gentoo (actualy, i REALLY recommend gentoo, but it is a complicated install, and its really an individuals choice if they think they can handle it) Mandrake is a very fast, and very simple to use distro.
    ----------
    expect to spend something like $70 on a switch , unless you choose to use one of the computers as a gateway in whitch case you will probaly not need much more than a PCI card for ethernet.
    If you go wireless you will need a wireless AP prices vary with features, but if i were to guess, you could probanly find one for $50 mabey less
    Cables should be cheap if you crip them yourself, but a common network bandwidth bottleneck problem is peope who crimp cables themselves, but dont do it right, so if you dont know either practice, or just buy them.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!

thanx..furthur info reg ths...

hi..
    well thanx...for ur suggestion..i will look into the linux flavours u told..i m already using fedora core 1.i hav just startd last month..i want to use one of my systems as a gateway u said...i hav read a post reg ip masqurading too..i think i ll hav a gateway/firewall on one sys.and i dont think on puttin up a wifi net soon..may b latter when i get used to the normal one i ll try..i want to use a linux flavor which is more secure..which one do u suggest..how iz slackware..i hav used knoppix too..what is ur suggestion reg that..where can i get the linux flavors online...i would like to install bastille linux..itss just an addition on the normal flavor..just to harden up..is it fine..
    how do i start setting up..
    thanx,
    Fr3@k

www.distrowatch.com will give you all the info you need to make a decison reguarding linux flavor. As far a physical setup, you will probably want to have the modem-->gateway computer/firewall (all linux distros can run software to do this, fedora has it all in iso's) -->switch-->individual computers. if you run a dhcp service on your gateway then everything from this point on will be done through that. ( I would also rcommend getting an ssh daemon running on all of them so as the network progresses remoteaccess is possible) Also, dont hook everything up to the internet untill you are secure, nothing calls a crackers name like an open system, and contrary to teh rumor, a poorly configured linux box is still vunerable.

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    Oh well, you could use one computer as a firewall+router+proxy server. Well for setting up a firewall and router I would recomend you to use FreeBSD (OpenBSD) because of security and stability.
    You will need a switch(or hub) to connect your computers, if you are considering to use Wireless on your laptop then you should by an Access Point.
    In case you use Linux as a router (running IPTables) there is one great script that is generating rules for it, you can find it at: www.shorewall.net

he already said that he didnt need wireless yet, but aviod hubs and go for switches, especialy if your going to have a gateway/firewall alread in place.(think of it as a one lane bridge vs a 6 lane motorway)

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!

Re:thanx

hi...guys..,
    Thanx for ur Advice qub333..regarding the open bsd thing ..i wil look into it..i m pretty intrested in open bsd..it's said to be the most secure os ..with very less bugs and holes..does it have an interactive desktop for config of services ..like the Gnome or Kde support..so tht its easy to confgure the firewall/gateway..
    i think i ll put up the Pentium IV as the gateway/firewall..and the remaining two as clients..can i hav 3 different distros on the 3 systems...like one running open bsd other with fedora and another with slackware or mandrake...would there b any probs..may b there will b a prob with the bugs and holes in the sys..they do hav diff specs..
    do i really need a switch/hub or can i manage with the NIC card..as i m having one sys as gateway..
    how do i declare the ip address's..
    where do i get open bsd..and how does the installation process go..is it interactive or should i go on a command line interface..
    is free bsd and open bsd the same..?

once again..thanx 4 ur support guyz...
    Fr3@k

If your NIC card has enough ports to handle your needs, thats all that you will need. One of the nice things about linux is that you should be fine with multiple distros, you may have to install teh same programs differently on each(open office) but as far as basic network communication, it looks like you are in good shape. As far as IP addresses, you will need to get a DHCP service running on your gateway. I have never run any of the BSD's so I can't say from firsthand experiance.

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!

help!!

hi..,

well ...i hav'nt exactly bought the NIC card for one System..coz i was waitin to get the compleat details..which one should i buy..and what other specs are to be considered..
    can i pick the ip address in class A or Class C...i.e from 10.1.1.1 or 192.1.1.1 ..i think i can hav any address within the network..right?
    as i m having 64 bit Amd Laptop do u recomend me to go for a 64 bit Liux distro..would tht do some help..
    .i think a new release is recently come out..the fedora core 1 i m using is the basic installation for a home pc..so i dont hav other network config settings in it..

i m also plannin to have a Dsl connection..but i want to know more reg the Msqurading thing..is it tht the Ip Masqurading feature should be compiled withn the kernel or somethin lik that..?

To set up a firewall ..i need to configure the Ipchains ...is there an easyir interface within the mandrake or gentoo to configure and set up the rules..
    Inbound and Outbund Traffic and to turn off the services which are not necessary..

coz i believe linux has got a lot of services and daemons running in the background..if its not prop configured it could be dangerous..
    so i want to start from the bottom of the line ...is there any good guide for securing linux..
    i hav some book's ..Maximum Security Linux (SAMS), Desktop and Network Security of Microsoft,Unix,Oracle (Syngress)..Ethical Hacking (Ankit)..
    i need some gud step by step process to do that....cud u help me find it online..
    i m also lookin fwd to check the kernel launched by the NSA..SElinux..kernel.can i compile it to the existing Fedora kernel..

Thanx,
    Fr3@k

Im just gonna answer what i know, i dont want to mislead you. The ip 10 or 192 is correct, those are non-summinoranother, basicaly, any data packet from an ip 192 or 10 will be ignored by the internet, i dont really know the deal on ip masqueraading, i have a NAT that handles alot of that for me, but at the same time is very restrictive. With the 64 bit machine, i think that you just want a kernal that supports it, i peronaly cannot afford a 64bit machine (well... any machine at the moment) so i have never delt with it, best bet would be to look into gentoo ( i know that it will support the operon systems) and just follow the directions they give for 64-bit, but definetly install a 64-bit kernel. there are some GUI's that cover ipchains so you dont have to do it all in CLI, i dont know the names of any thought, but a couple of google searches should do it.

Formerly Known as qub333

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast