Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

protocol to search for files across network

Hi
    Hope you are all well...
    Is there any protocol like NetBIOS for Windows which can help searching for files across a LAN...

say i have 3 files all named 1.txt on 3 machines on the LAN... and i want to know where these files are ..is there any protocol or a built in system call to search...
    I am newbie to linux ..someone suggested using ssh to login into the system and then use "find" or "locate" to search for files... but what if i do not know which machine on the network has the particular file i am looking for....

I am sorry if this post is in the wrong category...
    thanks for reading...

Linux Newbie
    Hi,

As far as I know, NetBIOS depends on the sharing settings on each computer over the network, I mean, if that isn't a problem for you (to configure the sharing directories on every computer) you can always mount remote drives/partitions/directories using NFS and, in your machine, use your favorite search tool to locate the files. Instead of NFS you can use SSHFS. Maybe SMB is another option, I don't know...

Greetings,

Hugo
    EOF

hi Hugo
    so it means if i do not share my home directories that is say /usr1/home across the network on all the computers....i can not search files in it across the network ....so i have to share it first to search for files in it
    hmm... very interesting ... i think ssh is the best solution...anyways i am a newbie as i said if i am wrong i am very sorry...

may i also conclude that if i am using netBios i can only search for files which are shared by a group of users not those files to which only i have access permission to..?even in windows??...
    am i right or am i wrong... if i am wrong my apologizes to the people who worked on netBIOS.
    thank you so much hugo...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    i mean does netbios help search for shared files only...??