Find the answer to your Linux question:
I originally asked this on the slackware part of this forum here it is. original question: Ok i momentarilary forget the terminallagy but I have about 3 old computers and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

making a cluster of computers

I originally asked this on the slackware part of this forum here it is.

original question:
    Ok i momentarilary forget the terminallagy but I have about 3 old computers and I want to build a server out of them by connecting them together with linux. I just need to know what kind of hardware I need. I want to use either slackware 9.1 or 10.0(is 10.0 worth the download or will there be a 10.1 coming out soon) Any help would be appreaciated. If you could point me to a online help file that would be great.
    Now here is my revised question

Can I make this cluster be recognized as one computer. I want to build a web server, mysql server, build machine and so on. But I dont want to run apache on every machine and I dont want to run mysql on every machine on the cluster. So is there that I can still log onto the main machine and still be able to use all of those services even though that particular machine is not running it itself

Thanx in advance for any help
    bignester
    The computer made me do it!! Slackware and SUSE too Gig\'em WHOOOOP!!
    \"God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain amount of tasks, At the rate I\'m going I will never die.\" (I don\'t know)

from what i read of the program that was sugessted, you can just use one of them as the apache etc etc. what will happen is all the other processes that your computer is running will be moved to other machines, its not mashing all the machines into one, almost impossible for a consumer, or even prosumer, but its load sharing. The same idea that makes massive databanks like NIH work. simply, query the one computer that is running apache, and when the load gets to large for it, it will simply 'ask' another computer to help out. If you install and run that program on all 3 computers and just have the most powerful of the 3 run the apache process, then you will be in good shape. It wont split the apache process, but other background ones will be moved.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux User
    OK i got my cluster running but i also have some old crappy computers I would like to put on the cluster for support. But I dont want to compile the kernel on these computers because they are too slow so I can compile a kernel on one of my other computers and just copy them over to the others. Is there any catch that I need to be aware of. Thanx ahead of time

bignester
    \"God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain amount of tasks, At the rate I\'m going I will never die.\" (I don\'t know)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    well, that depends on the archeteture of the computers that you want to add, if they are all the same, sure. You tend to get better performace if the kernel was compiled on the computer that it will run on, but look as distros like fedora, pre compiled kernels. Basicaly you would run the compile, then just copy it over the network to another computer, and continue as if the computer itself had just completed the compile, but kernel compiles really arent all that long as compared to some others, especialy if you compile with device support for only what you need. I did it on a 120mhz 90mb ram 1.1gb drive in about 6 hours ( i just left it overnight, for a total of 10, but that is my guess when i mathed it out) witch isnt bad really, set them all up to compile, go to work or come home, and it will probably be done, and you will get better perfromace. But what are the actual specs for what you are going to run?

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Guru
    Slightly OT, If your looking for some info on apache and mysql clustering, here are 2 good links:

Apache: http://www.devshed.com/c/a/Administr...onal-Apache/1/

MySQL Clustering: http://www.mysql.com/products/cluster/ (related links on right hand side are most useful).

Jason

Linux User
    I have a couple of 200 mghz machines and a amd k-5 thats about 400 mghz. these machines will just be used as support so not expecting anything big out of them

yeah, they will do a kernely compile, i would think about trying to do that overnight, its probably going to be easier, and more powerful when you get it all working.

Formerly Known as qub333