Find the answer to your Linux question:
I seem to have messed up with the host file and my comp takes a very long time to boot up. It pauses for a long time at the "Starting ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem with the /etc/hosts file

I seem to have messed up with the host file and my comp takes a very long time to boot up. It pauses for a long time at the "Starting E-mail Transport" before booting up to the login screen.

The file now contains :
    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    <MY IP ADD> zeus

Please let me know what should be the syntax and the contents of the first line so that it boots up normally

Thanks

Hi Kris. Here's my hosts file. I use Fedora 8. Should be pretty much the same.
    Code:
    [glenn@toshiba ~]$ cat /etc/hosts
    # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
    # that require network functionality will fail.
    127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost       localhost
    ::1     localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6
    Glenn
    Powered by Fedora

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help. It still waits for a long time at the same point, where it is trying to start the sendmail daemon. Any idea what I can do it fix this problem?
    Also, just out of curiosity, what does the second line in your quoted text stand for?

Quote Originally Posted by kris.c View Post
    Thanks for the help. It still waits for a long time at the same point, where it is trying to start the sendmail daemon. Any idea what I can do it fix this problem?
    What distro are you using? In Fedora you can stop sendmail by typing in a terminal /sbin/chkconfig --level 2345 sendmail off or you can do it through system-config-services.
    Quote Originally Posted by kris.c
    Also, just out of curiosity, what does the second line in your quoted text stand for?
    You got me there. Something to do with IPv6 ??
    Glenn