Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, I have a new system upon which I have been trying unsuccessfully to install the latest versions of Ubuntu (7.04, 7.10). Essentially http requests dont seem to be ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

HTTP not working on recent kernels

Hi there,

I have a new system upon which I have been trying unsuccessfully to install the latest versions of Ubuntu (7.04, 7.10).

Essentially http requests dont seem to be responding, even though I can ping the exact same web addresses. Ie, if I try to ping Google, this responds, but using the web browser this never returns. I have previously installed Ubuntu 6.06, and this works fine.

What I have tried....

Originally I thought this may be a problem with the particular network adapter I was using (onboard to my motherboard) however I tried a separate PCI network adapter and had the same issue.

I have also tried one or two other recent distros, and these had similar problems, however an old version of PC Linux also worked in this respect (but had other unrelated issues). I wonder if there is something in the more recent kernels that causes this issue regardless of the distro??

I dont know what the incompatibility is, but here is my system stats:

Mboard: ASUS M2NPV-VM
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+

I am super frustrated with this problem, because without internet access its pretty difficult to update the system or install anything meaningful on it, and I really dont want to be stuck with an old distro.

Does anyone know either:
    a) what the problem is?
    b) what/how I can investigate further into the networking stack to try to diagnose what is wrong
    c) any other linux forums that might be able to help?

Much appreciating any help here!

Magicduncan

You could first try different Web browsers like lynx that give you some feedback in their status lines.

You could use tcpdump or ethereal/wireshark to look at the TCP/IP traffic.

Maybe you have only a DNS problem. Did you try to connect to the IP address in numbers instead of a URL as a name?

nslookup or dig give you name->address or vice versa.
    Bus Error: Passengers dumped. Hech gap yo'q.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dilbert View Post
    You could first try different Web browsers like lynx that give you some feedback in their status lines.

You could use tcpdump or ethereal/wireshark to look at the TCP/IP traffic.

Maybe you have only a DNS problem. Did you try to connect to the IP address in numbers instead of a URL as a name?

nslookup or dig give you name->address or vice versa.
    Hi there, thanks for the response. I didnt know about tcpdump, etc. Sounds like a useful tool for this sort of diagnosis.

Actually I concluded a day or two ago that it must be my router at fault, rather than my computer hardware. Essentially I installed 7.10 onto a separate laptop, and this experienced the same issues when trying to access the internet via my router, but when I took it to a friend's house it worked fine.

I need to look into the router.

Thanks anyway
    Magicduncan

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close