Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Looking for USB Ethernet adapter for CDC ECM

I'm trying to find a USB to Ethernet adapter that support CDC ECM. All of the adapters I've found so far only support Windows (probably via RNDIS) like this one

I'd like to find a device that support CDC ECM. Does anyone know of one?

Thanks!

The D-Link dongle you mentioned comes with a CD that has an asix.c driver file that needs to be compiled on your machine. I believe, that this driver source file is one of these messy versions that simply make changes of the existing code and that could break the code for out-of-the box running devices. So, these asix.c versions simply change code instead of properly adding code.

I believe the Belkin Gigabit dongle has a asix.c on CD of the same kind.

At least, the former versions of LinkSys USB10T and its successor ran out of the box (even kernel 2.4) with the pegasus driver, but I don't know how is the newer USB 2.0 version. Maybe you have a look at the LinkSys Web site.

If you don't want to compile the modified asix driver of the above mentioned dongles (Dynamode is the same, I believe) I would try this question in a forum of your distro as it's rather a hardware compatibility question.

PS:
    The D-Link dongle comes also for Windows with a driver on CD, so I guess it's not RNDIS either.
    There is also an RNDIS driver file in the 2.6. kernel.
    Bus Error: Passengers dumped. Hech gap yo'q.