Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to find a USB to Ethernet adapter that support CDC ECM. All of the adapters I've found so far only support Windows (probably via RNDIS) like this one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Looking for USB Ethernet adapter for CDC ECM

I'm trying to find a USB to Ethernet adapter that support CDC ECM. All of the adapters I've found so far only support Windows (probably via RNDIS) like this one

I'd like to find a device that support CDC ECM. Does anyone know of one?

Thanks!

The D-Link dongle you mentioned comes with a CD that has an asix.c driver file that needs to be compiled on your machine. I believe, that this driver source file is one of these messy versions that simply make changes of the existing code and that could break the code for out-of-the box running devices. So, these asix.c versions simply change code instead of properly adding code.

I believe the Belkin Gigabit dongle has a asix.c on CD of the same kind.

At least, the former versions of LinkSys USB10T and its successor ran out of the box (even kernel 2.4) with the pegasus driver, but I don't know how is the newer USB 2.0 version. Maybe you have a look at the LinkSys Web site.

If you don't want to compile the modified asix driver of the above mentioned dongles (Dynamode is the same, I believe) I would try this question in a forum of your distro as it's rather a hardware compatibility question.

PS:
    The D-Link dongle comes also for Windows with a driver on CD, so I guess it's not RNDIS either.
    There is also an RNDIS driver file in the 2.6. kernel.
    Bus Error: Passengers dumped. Hech gap yo'q.