Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys, I am new to Linux, previously a Windows user. I have very limited knowledge of my distro, Ubuntu but do have a good knowledge of Windows. I can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

WoW, Linux and SSH

Hey guys,

I am new to Linux, previously a Windows user. I have very limited knowledge of my distro, Ubuntu but do have a good knowledge of Windows. I can navigate everything fine and understand how many things work but my problem is that I dont know many of the good applications.

Im a WoW player and decided I would install it on Ubuntu. All works fine, The graphics and everything are ok, using WINE.

My problem is this, I live in university halls, and they block alot of traffic, based on it being non-educational. I can understand that for blocking things like p2p and BitTorrent, bandwidth hogs.

I dont really see why they block WoW, very low bandwidth requirements.

Anyway, I got around this on Windows by using Putty to connect to my shell and then using Proxifier to tunnel all traffic from Wow.exe. I have also used socksify if that helps you understand what I was doing.

What I need is a way of "trapping" all traffic from wow.exe and sending it to my own machine (127.0.0.1) where it can be forwarded to my shell and around their restrictions.

I have tried the various bash commands to connect to a shell but they dont work. Im behind a Proxy that seems to mess everything up. To connect to my shell on Linux I have to use Putty. Not a big deal, I only really use it for WoW. So many SSH bash commands dont work for me.

Thanks for any comments.

Robert

Okay Im not entirely sure what you want to do. You want to connect via SSH to another shell? What commands aren't working?
    I praise Webmin and PuTTy!
    Registered Linux User: 439431

Just Joined!
    Yes, I am trying to connect to a shell from my linux box. I understand that Linux is great for connecting to servers via the terminal but I seem to get an error.

Im getting an error, "No route to host on port 22" or something similar, sorry im not at the machine right now.

I assume this error is caused by the proxy server that I have to connect to in order to get any outside communication. I have a username and password which works fine with my apps, Firefox etc....

I can connect to my shell using Putty, it allows me to enter the proxy server details. This was the way I did it on Windows, used Putty to make a server and direct all my traffic to this server, 127.0.0.1. I used port 7070.

I tried the same set up on my linux setup, Putty, opened port 7070, all exactly the same as Windows but my apps wont forward. Perhaps this is because I havnt set Linux to be aware of the proxy.

So thats really what im after, I want to use the terminal to connect to my shell and start the server. So I assume I need to make linux aware of the proxy but I dont know how.

I have made Gnome aware of the proxy but that doesnt help.

Hope that makes things clearer, Thanks.

Robert

EDIT, I have been using the "ssh" command in terminal.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Robert,

What i suggest is reading up on SSH forwarding.. A forwarding address can be setup via /etc/ssh/ssh_config . You'll be able to point your traffic at your universities proxy server then in a similar way you do on windows.. tunnel your traffic from wow to your shell outside the school. Good Luck.

Just Joined!
    I have SSH working. Im using Corkscrew. I can connect to my shell and start a SOCKS server on my local machine.

I am aware that there are programs that allow programs without proxy supprt to be forwarded, Tsocks for example. My problem is this, none of them seem to work with Wine.

What I need is some way of directing Wine and thus its running applications to my SOCKS server on 127.0.0.1.

Any ideas?

Robert

look into VPN technology maybe..?

Just Joined!
    When I first started at University I looked into this but was unable to find anything that would allow me to connect via a proxy. Hence I went with an SSH Shell as Putty allowed me to enter proxy details and connect.

Perhaps you know of a provider and a program that allows me to connect but allow it via a proxy. I dont mind paying for it, as I am already paying for my SSH Shell.

Anything that you can help with?

Thanks

Robert