Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well, this is probably a really dumb question, but I'm going to ask anyway. My school is networked together through Windows. All the OS's are Vista, specifically. I have a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How would I sign my Linux box onto Windows networks?

Well, this is probably a really dumb question, but I'm going to ask anyway.

My school is networked together through Windows. All the OS's are Vista, specifically.

I have a project coming up and I need to show Debian off on the network - this means I'll have to sign in with my username and password.

I've tried Samba before, but it is confusing. Maybe I'm just stupid?

Each student is given four numbers, then are allowed to make the password of their choice. The logon is then sometimes followed by an at (@) sign and location of a certain network - the middle school has their own network, the high school has their own network, etc.

Something like this: ####@hs.school.edu

It's not against the rules or anything (if you are thinking along those lines) because I'll still be behind the schools filter.

I just need to show off the project and it needs to get onto the net for some resources... Can someone help me?

Just Joined!

same sorta problem

i have the same sort of problem with the only difference being i would need access to my school network, however i go to college at a military academy, specifically the air force academy, and so it might not be as simple to get in to the network. anyways, looked up samba and couldn't quite figure it out so any help would be appreciated, it's basically just domain log in with username/password configuration.

oz
    forum.guy
    Just curious regarding both posts on this thread... why are the network administrators not helping either of you to get hooked up to the network?
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    my network is a government network, therefore the network admins don't officially support linux, but they told me if i could figure it out then fine. but trust me, i've asked them plenty of times and they've just told me they don't touch linux

Quote Originally Posted by rangerofhobbiton View Post
    my network is a government network, therefore the network admins don't officially support linux, but they told me if i could figure it out then fine. but trust me, i've asked them plenty of times and they've just told me they don't touch linux
    Basically the same. They are too frustrated with Linux still from back in, like, last time they tried it in 2002. A lot has happened, I know, but still.

Just Joined!
    well i figured it out, only problem now is i can't get to my email since it uses exchange email server and i guess revolution can't handle it so i have to boot in windows for email.