Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just got cable service thru Comcast, and to my chagrin, am sending this email out in the Windows side of my dual-boot. Background: My linux distro is Mandrakelinux 10.1 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Cobbled by Cable (Comcast, that is...)

I just got cable service thru Comcast, and to my chagrin, am sending this email out in the Windows side of my dual-boot.

Background:

My linux distro is Mandrakelinux 10.1

'Was' connected (for 4 years) thru Earthlink with a DSL connection. Had two computers set up thru a switchbox (don't have it 'in the line' right now-i.e. I have this box connected cleanly and directly to the new cable modem). One of the boxes (this one) dual booted (XP and the aformentioned 10.1) and everything worked fine (well, within Earthlink's definition of what worked fine, but let's not get started on that.)

I'm connecting this box with a 3-com ethernet connector, installed where it always has been, within the bowels of my Lian-Li PC65 (sorry folks, couldn't resist a free plug for my beloved Lian-Li case).

Obviously, this (Windows) connection works fine to the internet-that's how I'm sneaking this plea out.

Just as obviously, or I wouldn't be here [complaining], my linux side will not connect.

Start with this premise--I have not a clue what I am doing. I did go to the GUI screen (in my Mandrake distro) and, as su, attempted to set up a new internet connection, using the 'cable' option, and the eth1 connection, which is where my 3-com connector draws breath (eth0 is the mobo connection, and has always 'FAILED' on boot-up, as it is superseded by eth1.

So, alright already, everyone stop what they're doing until we get this one resolved, huh? I'll be here at my desk (an unhappy slave to Windows) awaiting the magic bullet that puts this issue to bed.

Thanks all, in advance, for the input.

Well, first of all, this problem almost certainly has nothing to do with Comcast. If you can connect through Windows then it is likely something to do with your Linux configuration. What's the output of the following commands?
    Code:
    ifconfig
    ifconfig -a
    cat /etc/resolv.conf

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillhouse View Post
    Well, first of all, this problem almost certainly has nothing to do with Comcast. If you can connect through Windows then it is likely something to do with your Linux configuration. What's the output of the following commands?
    Code:
    ifconfig
    ifconfig -a
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    Got a mixed bag of answers (to my surprise):

ifconfig--this command shows up in 'man ifconfig', but bash tells me there is no such command.

ifconfig -a --same answer as 'ifconfig'

cat /etc/resolv.conf--

search control
    # search dhcppc2
    nameserver 192.168.1.1 (#that's a good number!)

# ppp temp entry

Again, remember I'm back down (pun intended) in Windows here in order to communicate over the internet, so communication/response requires a back-and-forth to allow me to go over to linux to 'chew on' and questions.

Thanks for weighing in here, by the way.

Try the ifconfig commands with /sbin:
    Code:
    /sbin/ifconfig
    /sbin/ifconfig -a
    Your resolv.conf implies that you are, or were at one point, behind a router yet you said you were connected directly to the modem. 192.168.* is generally reserved as a private IP network. Did you have a router when you used Earthlink?

Also, I use Comcast too and live in the general area you do and my resolv.conf looks something like this:
    Code:
    search hsd1.va.comcast.net.
    search hsd2.va.comcast.net.

nameserver 192.168.1.1
    The 192.168.1.1 address is that of my router which leases IP address to the computers on my home network. You might want to try placing those two search statements in your resolv.conf (replacing va with md) and rebooting.

The ifconfig commands will give us an idea of which interface you should be connecting with and we can try and get an IP address with one of those.

Try the ifconfig commands with /sbin:
    Code:
    /sbin/ifconfig
    /sbin/ifconfig -a
    The ifconfig commands will give us an idea of which interface you should be connecting with and we can try and get an IP address with one of those.
    I was successful in running the above suggested commands, resulting in a whole lot of text. I redirected the output to text files, printed them, and then came back here to the Windows side.

What I would like to do is scan the images (of the text files) into my computer and download those images to you. Can't seem to figure that step out here in the forum options. Can you offer any suggestions (typing everthing into a forum response means time and error!).

How about burning those files to a cd and then opening them in Windows? Or you can download an ext3 driver for Windows and read your Linux partition directly.

the files

ifconfig

eth0

Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:8D:ED:9A:4A
    inet6 addr: fe80::250:8dff:feed:9a4a/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:11 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:2430 (2.3 Kb)
    Interrupt:5 Base address:0xb000

eth1

Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:04:75:AE:B0:9D
    inet6 addr: fe80::204:75ff:feae:b09d/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets::5367 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:152 frame:0
    TX packets:12 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    RX bytes:327464 (319.7 Kb) TX bytes:2772 (2.7 Kb)
    Interrupt:10 Base address:0xa000

eth2

Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-00-00-50-8D-EC-9A-4A-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    TX packets:0 errors:6 dropped:6 overruns:0 carrier:0
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

lo

Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:72 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:72 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:4694 (4.5 Kb) TX bytes:4694 4.5 Kb)

the ifconfig -a readout is identical to the above except for these two lines in eth1:

RX packets:5426 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:152 frame:0
    RX bytes:331004 (232.2 Kb) TX bytes:2772 (2.7 Kb)

and with this additional para.

sit0

Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4
    NOARP MTKU:1480 Metric:1
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

Thanks for sticking in with this. Sorry for the delay. Some little detail like *work* got in the way for a few hours there...

And...?

How about burning those files to a cd and then opening them in Windows? Or you can download an ext3 driver for Windows and read your Linux partition directly.
    Ya know, Thrillhouse, just to be honest, if you'd had no intention of following up and actually helping out here, I'd much rather you'd have had the courtesy to just stay aside and leave the gap to someone who did want to actually help.