Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just downloaded and installed Fedora 8 on my AMD 64X2 machine. eth0 says that it's connected but I'm unable to reach any web site including the Fedora 8 update ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New Fedora 8 Install cannot connect to network

I just downloaded and installed Fedora 8 on my AMD 64X2 machine. eth0 says that it's connected but I'm unable to reach any web site including the Fedora 8 update site. I've turned off the Firewall in case that was causing problems. I'm connecting through a DLINK 4 port router to DSL modem and not sure where the problem is. Since I downloaded the install directly to the machine I know I've connected then and I'm not sure why it's not connecting now.
    Here is my ifconfig

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:8D:95:C2:03
    inet addr:192.168.0.199 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::250:8dff:fe95:c203/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:429 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:128 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:40279 (39.3 KiB) TX bytes:12829 (12.5 KiB)
    Interrupt:22 Base address:0xc000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:4979 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:4979 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:3357524 (3.2 MiB) TX bytes:3357524 (3.2 MiB)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Todd

paste your route -n as well please

Also try to ping the GW to see if you have connection to it.

Just Joined!
    You most likely need a line
    GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
    in the /etc/sysconfig/networking-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file. This allows your D-Link to act as the gateway to the internet. Your IP could be different, but 192.168.0.1 is the default for most routers.

You can also do this through the gui tool on the menus by clicking:
    System->Administration->Network Device Control
    Click "Configure" button, then select the device eth0, then click "Edit" button. Near the bottom is the "Default Gateway Address" where you put the 192.168.0.1.

After you do this either way, you need to deactivate and reactive the eth0 device. The simplest and most positive way to do this is simply reboot.

You can confirm the gateway was setup by typing the "route" command. You should see a "default" network with the gateway being 192.168.0.1. Until you have that, you can't reach the internet.

Also try "ping 192.168.0.1" to see if you can reach your router. If you happen to know an IP on the internet, try pinging that.

The other thing that is likely to be missing, is an entry in the /etc/resolv.conf file. This says where to find the DNS server for domain name resolution. It may be possible to reach the internet, but you aren't able to lookup domains. So you need a line like:
    nameserver 192.168.0.1
    This assumes your router is something like a DI-604 and can act as a DNS server too.

Eventually, I would recommend installing a caching DNS server under Fedora. The routers are very limited in their capabilities and the internet plays slow, simply because DNS is slow. I use pdns with pdns-recursor here. You can install them as packages using pirut. However, you need to read the man pages and edit the config files to make it work. Also make sure you activate it as a service at boot time.

You could have had most of this done for you when you installed Fedora 8. You probably skipped answering 3 questions at the bottom of the network part of the installer.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for you response. I believe you are correct. I can ping the router address fine. I will try it tonight when I get home.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by sorena View Post
    You most likely need a line
    GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
    in the /etc/sysconfig/networking-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file. This allows your D-Link to act as the gateway to the internet. Your IP could be different, but 192.168.0.1 is the default for most routers.

You can also do this through the gui tool on the menus by clicking:
    System->Administration->Network Device Control
    Click "Configure" button, then select the device eth0, then click "Edit" button. Near the bottom is the "Default Gateway Address" where you put the 192.168.0.1.

After you do this either way, you need to deactivate and reactive the eth0 device. The simplest and most positive way to do this is simply reboot.

You can confirm the gateway was setup by typing the "route" command. You should see a "default" network with the gateway being 192.168.0.1. Until you have that, you can't reach the internet.

Also try "ping 192.168.0.1" to see if you can reach your router. If you happen to know an IP on the internet, try pinging that.

The other thing that is likely to be missing, is an entry in the /etc/resolv.conf file. This says where to find the DNS server for domain name resolution. It may be possible to reach the internet, but you aren't able to lookup domains. So you need a line like:
    nameserver 192.168.0.1
    This assumes your router is something like a DI-604 and can act as a DNS server too.

Eventually, I would recommend installing a caching DNS server under Fedora. The routers are very limited in their capabilities and the internet plays slow, simply because DNS is slow. I use pdns with pdns-recursor here. You can install them as packages using pirut. However, you need to read the man pages and edit the config files to make it work. Also make sure you activate it as a service at boot time.

You could have had most of this done for you when you installed Fedora 8. You probably skipped answering 3 questions at the bottom of the network part of the installer.
    I did what you said. I had to edit the files manually because the gui doesn't run. I pick it and nothing happens. I still am seeing the same behavior. I'll keep looking. I've rebooted still cannot get to the internet.

Thanks for trying.

Todd

Just Joined!
    Okay, if you can ping your router at 192.168.0.1, that means that most of the stuff is working. If you simply can't reach the internet, that probably means you aren't gerting the dns lookups.

So try doing a
    ping 67.15.52.42
    which is the ip address of www.linuxforums.org. If you can ping that, you can get to the internet and simply aren't getting dns lookup. In which case look at your /etc/resolv.conf file to see how your nameserver is configured.

Good luck
    Paul