Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everybody and thanks in advance! First of all, sorry if this post shouldn't be here, but I didn't know were it would fit better. I have a laptop running ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation How to Access REmotely to a linux laptop

Hi everybody and thanks in advance!
    First of all, sorry if this post shouldn't be here, but I didn't know were it would fit better.

I have a laptop running linux and a desktop computer. Does anyboy know how could I remotely open mozilla in the laptop from the desktop computer?
    I am thinking of two ways:
    - Is there a way to do it through the serial port, I tried opening the executable mozilla from an hyperterminal session but it won't work. What am I doing wrong?
    - Both computers have two ethernet ports with different IPs but all of them in different networks. Is there a way of accessing the laptop through these ethernet connections using switches or would I need a router?

Which would be the best way to proceed?
    Could anybody explain me how would both solutions work?
    Thank you very much!

If they are on separate networks you could do it by forwarding X over ssh. This isn't the most practical solution and is slow, but it can be done. Assuming you can now ssh from the PC to the laptop without problems, open a terminal on the PC and go for example:
    Code:
    ssh -Y username@laptop's_ip_here mozilla
    Or:
    Code:
    ssh -X username@laptop's_ip_here mozilla
    You might have to edit your /etc/ssh/sshd_config on the laptop so it will forward X. Some distros have this disabled by default. Look for:
    Code:
    X11Forwarding no
    and change to:
    Code:
    X11Forwarding yes
    If it were me though, and this is something I needed to do on a regular basis, I'd use VNC or NoMachine. Then, you could access the laptop with your PC's browser, open a terminal and enter the mozilla command.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 01-22-2008 at 11:19 AM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!

Exclamation

Thank you for the ideas Dapper!
    VCN and NoMachine are definitely something I will take into account in the future, as for what I've read they are really usefull.
    Anyway, in this case, I don't even need to view the browser in the PC, I just want the browser to be oppened in the laptop, but I need to do that from the PC.
    I have tried stablishing a ssh session with putty and running the executable but the browser won't open.
    Any ideas?