Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Well there is usually what's called a PCMCIA or PC-Card slot in the side that is easily accessible, but this type of card is what is usually installed by the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Well there is usually what's called a PCMCIA or PC-Card slot in the side that is easily accessible, but this type of card is what is usually installed by the manufacturer. Don't let that put you off, it's just like installing RAM in your laptop with the addition of two cables for the antenna which easily clip on.

This card is PCI express, older notebooks used a similar Mini-PCI system which is incompatible. If this will work for you then it's all yours If you post your model details we should be able to figure out if it's right for you.

My type :-
    PCI Express Mini Card - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Older type :-
    Mini PCI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have a load of old hardware I'd love to get rid of so if any of you guys are lacking ask and though may receive

The model is a Toshiba Satellite P205D-S7438. It's so new it's still on the market. There's no mention of PCI Express on any of the spec pages, but I do have one of those super-versatile Express Card slots. From the Wiki page, it looks like it's compatible with PCI Express, but I don't see anything about Mini Cards. Or are they the same thing?

I also have a 5-in-1 bridge media adapter slot, but I think that that's for removable media only.

I poked around in the underbelly of the beast... I removed three panels but aside from the memory compartment, I didn't see anything that I can add anything to. To get to anything else, I'd have to take off the entire bottom of the laptop which frankly scares me a little so I'll wait to see what you say next before I proceed.
    Last edited by Artesia; 02-06-2008 at 09:39 AM. Reason: clarification

Sure there's no point in sending you down a road you're not sure about...the offer will still be there if you change your mind. It's always satisfying to fix these problems so hopefully we can get the Atheros chip working somehow.

Thanks a bunch for trying... I will eventually get to the bottom of this--the battle ain't over yet!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2