Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I wan't to migrate accounts, roaming profiles and other shares from Samba 2.2 (Slackware) to Samba 3.0.23 (Debian). It should be transparent for clients. I migrated linux user accounts, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Transparent Samba migration 2.2->3.0

Hello,

I wan't to migrate accounts, roaming profiles and other shares from Samba 2.2 (Slackware) to Samba 3.0.23 (Debian).
    It should be transparent for clients. I migrated linux user accounts, smbpasswd file and smb.conf. I can join new client to domain and it works ok, but when I'm trying to substitute old server with new (only for test clients in test network of course), I can connect only once, Windows XP client says after login that he can't find domain controler, and after logout I can't login anymore. Names of domain, controlers and SIDs are the same, but some how Windows after first login knows that this is not the domain it should be.

How to cheat Windows XP?
    or
    What I forgot to do?

There is one more issue which (I thing) come out of the same problem: Windows Theme, Last programs (in start menu) not working in the new domain (I have copied profiles to new domain and add computer).

Does anyone know how to do it?

Many Thanks,

Just Joined!
    What password backend are you using?

The samba migration you are attempting, is indeed most possible, and it appears that you have done everything correctly, although I would try changing the SID, I think that having the same SID could cause a problem, think of it this way, if you have a Primary Domain Contorller and an Secondary Domain Controller running on your network, they have to have different SID's to work together, if the PDC goes down the SDC will take over, on it different SID.

I read somewhere way back that the SID could cause this type of problem.

Second thing you could look at is, the folder permissions, how did you migrate the accounts and are you using local or roaming profiles? If you moved the files and folders from the one server to the other then the folder permissions could have changed, I have had this before and its a nightmare to fix, especially if you have over 500 users, however it could just be the permissions of root directory in which your folders are stored.

When using profiles, the clients will make there own profile folder an set the permissions of that folder on first logon, if the profile doesnt already exist. The solution could be as easy as deleting the profiles and letting the windows machine reconfigure that when the clients logon, however if you are making heavy use of profiles, you will lose lots of information and settings. I would try removing the machines from the domain first and then letting them reconect to it, also delete the machine's account, that could also be causing an issue.