Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a couple of questions about VPNs... I need a shared hard-drive between a couple of locations, accessible by Linux and Windows desktops , to mount them , and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

VPN Theory Questions

I have a couple of questions about VPNs...

I need a shared hard-drive between a couple of locations, accessible by Linux and Windows desktops, to mount them, and have drag 'n drop access.

Q1: I think I need a VPN - right? What about secure FTP? (can I mount to that connection?)

Q2: I have a hosted VPS (virtual private server) with some spare disk space, with near-root access (WestHost.com). Can I use that? Or do VPNs only deploy as gateways? (I have been looking at OpenVPN, StrongSwan, SSL Explorer...)

Q3: Has anyone been successful at setting up a VPN on a hosted VPS before?

Thanks in advance...
    Zoomiest

Linux Newbie
    I found this which may answer at least some of your questions.

The actual link is: Secure FTP 101

example, if you use a VPN to secure your FTP file transfers it requires implementing VPN software, or a VPN appliance, at each end point. If digital certificates are used for implementing a VPN or secure FTP, proper key exchanges must be made, and private keys need to be secured.

Q1 - you need file sharing protocol such as samba for file sharing between linux-windows box, nfs for linux-linux file sharing & also ftp. Vpn only give you way to have private network.

Q2 - As long you have the right to install anything onto your vps, go for it! You will need openssl, CA cert, key, secure ftp & etc..If you ended with bunch of problems, just go for :
    1) openvpnwith with static key + vsftp or
    2) just go for vsftp only