Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Have Samba set up so that I can see Windows machines from my Debian Linux box. However I cannot access the share I have created on my Linux box from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Accessing Linux share from windows xp

Have Samba set up so that I can see Windows machines from my Debian Linux box. However I cannot access the share I have created on my Linux box from Windows XP. I am prompted to enter username and password but the connection does not happen.
    I tried setting 'interfaces = lo eth0' and 'bind interfaces only = true' in smb.conf file to no avail.
    My samba log file shows 'Error Connection reset by peer'

David

Create samba user & password same as your winxp user then using it for samba login..

You most probably didin't create samba passwords with smbpasswd. If that's not the case then increase the trace level on the samba server and check the logs in /var/log/samba for error messages.
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect." Linus Benedict Torvalds

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    How does one create a password for Samba? It automatically downloaded when I set a folder to be shared, and I am experiencing the same problems as the topic creator. There was nothing prompting a password to be created, thanks.

I just modified my previous posting so it now has the command to create smb pwds in bold
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect." Linus Benedict Torvalds

Just Joined!
    Hey again, go me for missing the command line. Anyway, this is what I did, and what I encountered :

Code:
    usr@usr-desktop:~$ smbpasswd
    Old SMB password:
    New SMB password:
    Retype new SMB password:
    Could not connect to machine 127.0.0.1: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
    Failed to change password for usr
    What am I doing incorrectly here?

1) samba not up and running? Check with netstat -tpvln and look for port 139 and 445.
    2) Execute smbpasswd as root

Just Joined!
    It doesn't appear that samba is running,

Code:
    usr@usr-desktop:~$ netstat -tpvin
    Kernel Interface table
    Iface   MTU Met   RX-OK RX-ERR RX-DRP RX-OVR    TX-OK TX-ERR TX-DRP TX-OVR Flg
    eth0   1500 0     41145      0      0      0    26533      0      0      0 BMRU
    lo    16436 0       216      0      0      0      216      0      0      0 LRU

I am ignorant on how to operate it, obviously. So any more advice would help, thanks again.

--------------------------

I also ran smbpasswd as root, and it appeared to update it, however the password still doesn't work when trying to open the computer on a windows pc.

Pls invoke netstat with a lowercase L instead of lowercase I.

Command to start samba is /etc/init.d/smb start

XP has a FW which blocks traffic. Pls shut down the FW and test to connect again when samba is up and running.

Just Joined!

Can access Linux from Windows but ...

Hi,

Now that my shared Linux folder is visible on my Windows XP computer I can't copy a file from Windows to that Linux folder. Windows gives me an access denied error even though the folder has full permissions on it after I ran 'chmod 777 folder' and made sure that through 'Administration | Shared Folders' that the folder was not read only.

David

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast