Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a linksys broadband router and i should be able to specify a different ip address for both of the ethernet port. I would like port1 to have an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Emergency Linksys Router Help

I have a linksys broadband router and i should be able to specify a different ip address for both of the ethernet port. I would like port1 to have an ip of 192.168.2.1 and the second port will have 192.168.1.1. The reason for this is so that the client and server are on seperate networks even though they are connected to the same router. Is such a thing possible? I am using a linksys RT31P2 Broadband router. Would I need a more high-end router to do this or is it possible with the equipment I have? The goal is to establish a client-to-server vpn connection. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On my Network, the Router uses the 192.168.2.1 IP, then the Pc's use 192.168.2.2 and 192.168.2.3 and so on. Have you tried that?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Yea I have tried that and it works but my instructor was telling me they have to be on seperate networks and my response to that was if they are connected to the same router they will have to have the same def gateway address so how can they be on different networks? What about each pc being connected to its own router and running a crossover cable from one router to another. That way they will be on seperate networks. Would that work?

Sorry, but this sounds like a homework assignment and here on the forums, helping with homework is against the rules.
    You sound intelligent enough to figure it out on your own, with a little help from these forums and google.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    I didn't know homework was against the rules. I honestly ran out of ideas and it was due this tuesday. I have a couple ideas to try but I dont know if they will work. What makes me mad is that a group doing a windows vpn got theirs running the first day it assigned. I am the only one in my class doing a Linux project. Sorry for breakiing the rules, I should have read them closer.