Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am looking to do something like a Samba share, but over the internet so any computer can access the file files (read/write) on my computer (in a specified folder) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Networking with computers outside of LAN

I am looking to do something like a Samba share, but over the internet so any computer can access the file files (read/write) on my computer (in a specified folder) with the correct user name and password. I am aware that occasionally my IP will change, as I have not registered a static one with my ISP, but this is not a problem for me, as on the rare occasion it changes, I can deal with it. Whats more it seems to change once about every year or so, give or take about 9 months

Back to the question: How would I setup a folder on my computer to be viewed anywhere by anyone with a username/password in read/write format? Something path they can just enter in their location bar in Nautilus or Firefox or Konqueror... etc.
    When I find myself burried in errors, Windows Help appears to me; speaking words of wisdom, Reboot!

Linux Guru
    Most common would be to set up an FTP or HTTP server.

I really have no clue about networking outside a LAN and thus would need specific instructions on how to make this work...
    When I find myself burried in errors, Windows Help appears to me; speaking words of wisdom, Reboot!

UPDATE: I have got SSH working and doing everything it needs to - thread solved!