Find the answer to your Linux question:
In the /var/log/message log I am seeing UDP packets dropped because of bogus hlen. What exactly does this mean and is there a way to see what packets are being ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

UDP Bogus Hlen

In the /var/log/message log I am seeing UDP packets dropped because of bogus hlen. What exactly does this mean and is there a way to see what packets are being dropped and where the source was?

define: hlen - Google Search

Can you post the exact message? You may or may not be able to identify the real source (can be spoofed).

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by anomie View Post
    define: hlen - Google Search

Can you post the exact message? You may or may not be able to identify the real source (can be spoofed).
    I believe the exact message is what I wrote along with a size which ranges from 35xxx to 65xxx. If I understand the google define correctly there is a bad source or destination address? How could this be possible?

Can you not copy/paste from the log?

It's possible it is a crafted packet (i.e. someone trying to do something nasty).

Just Joined!
    No, I can't copy and paste the log but tomorrow I will post one of the exact messages. It's not somebody purposly trying to do something nasty becaue its a closed lan.

BTW how would you "craft" a packet?