Find the answer to your Linux question:
My school provides a lan connection to the internet, but as far as I know they provide support only for windows networking. What do I need to know in order ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need Help Connecting to My School's Network

My school provides a lan connection to the internet, but as far as I know they provide support only for windows networking. What do I need to know in order to establish a connection with linux using my school's lan. Just reinstalled Mandrake 10.0 and dual booting off of a Compaq Armada E500. The network card is an Intel(R) PRO/100+ MiniPCI and I am not sure if linux supports the driver for it. What should I do?...I love linux....just want to have full functionality with it....(web, messanging, email, etc.)

Linux Newbie
    The nic uses eepro100 module. Mandrake will detect it automatically. If the net uses dhcp to assign IP addresses, you're all set.
    Otherwise, you'll just need to know your IP and DNS. It's not an issue. Your net admin will give that to you if necessary and it's obvious through the install where you'll need to plug the numbers in.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

Just Joined!
    Actually I found the setup procedure pretty straighforward. I selected the nic and plugged in my ip address and then mandrake found out the rest....but there still is no internet connection. I followed the directions provided by the wizard...please provide any help you can....

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Ok just to reclarify.....when I go into KDE/Mandrake Control Center and I look into the internet access icon, I see that the first, second, and third dns server option spaces are filled with correct addresses. The status of the above connection type, however is not connected. Since everything is correctly setup....then do I possibly need to get linux registered in some way by my administrator?....

99& chance that they will have a dhcp on a school network, in that case, its basicaly plug in play....
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Newbie
    qub is right. The odds of a sysadmin setting up a server to issue static IP and DNS are slim. Check with the admin. I'd almost bet he/she's using dhcp.
    Your failure to connect has nothing to do with Linux vs. Windows.
    When an IP or a sysadmin says "We don't support Linux", it doesn't mean "Linux won't work". It means "I'm living life without a clue so don't call me for help".
    Go to your network config tool and select DHCP. Then, go to the Services section of MCC and set DHCPD to Start on boot and reboot the machine.
    Post back and tell me what happens.

Just Joined!
    Ok so I did everything that you told me....save for one misdirection. I configured the network connections as the Automatic IP (Boot/DHCP), all three DNS addresses were located as before, and followed the rest of the wizard's directions. After I went to the Services option in the MCC but could not find the DHCP set on boot option. Instead I found the network run on boot option....so I selected that to run on boot. Then I went to MAnage Connections in the MCC and found that the Start on Boot option was selected for the DHCP. I rebooted into linux and tried to connect to my school's website and was happy to see it connect. I was able to check my mail through that site, but when I typed in google; an error/could not connect page came up.....no connection!...Furthermore I checked to see if the lan was connected to be sure, and it proved not to be.

Followed the directions, still nothing....by the way does the fact that I installed Mandrake 10.0 of of iso/cd's matter at all. I read that some things may not be included/supported under the free version? Sorry to be such a pain.....feel like such a newb!

Just Joined!
    Well finally found the problem.....seems that I forgot that my school used an http proxy for which we need to access the internet. Now I have full functionality with internet services! Your advice was right on the money, was just my proxies out of whack. Also, I have noticed that the MCC still displays that the lan is still "not connected." But whatever I guess, I have linux plus the internet. Another thing though....I am only able to use Konquer Explorer as it is the only prepackaged explorer program that allows me the option to configure my internet proxy settings. Are there other internet explorer programs that have the same option?

Once again thanx for your help, it has been invaluable. :P

Linux Newbie
    Tisk tisk tisk. Explorer is a Windows word. I think the word you want is browser.
    Anywho, In Mozilla, click on Edit(in the toolbar). Click Preferences. That will bring up the preferences dialog. In the left pane, click Advanced and in the submenu click Proxies and set up your proxies in the right pane.

same for firefox, the other major browser in linux is opera, i don't use it anymore, but i know it supports proxies, i think under tools-->preferances but i could be wrong.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333