Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've just installed Redhat 9, and all was going well, learning fast. I then decided to change to KDE. However, I have a small problem that is putting me off... ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Internet on Gnome, but not on KDE

I've just installed Redhat 9, and all was going well, learning fast. I then decided to change to KDE. However, I have a small problem that is putting me off...

I could connect to and access the internet fully using Gnome, and my D-Link external modem. When I changed to KDE, using all the same settings, with the nice KPPP thing, it dials (and connects) but nothing will load. This is very frustrating, as I now have everything the way I want, except the internet on KDE.

Any help much appreciated, probably something very simple, I'm a newbie

Jamie

So you ARE connected? But you can't access webpages? Or it drops the connection? What is the output of /var/log/messages when connecting and/or trying to access a website?
    Me & Myself just ganged up on I....... Now We all have problems..and none of Us are speaking!
    bash-3.00$ uname -a
    SunOS sparky 5.11 OpenSolaris-swa sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise

Just Joined!
    Yes, that's correct, the connection window shows it to be active, but Mozilla doesn't even attempt to load anything. I shall try looking for that output and get back with the message.

Linux User
    From KDE you can use Gnome programs. So you're able to run whatever you sucessfully used to connect to the internet.
    --monkey

Just Joined!
    I used KPPP in KDE, which was simpler that "activating" the connection with no dialog in Gnome (network properties I think). Does anybody have any other suggestions for dialers that I can use in KDE.

Linux Engineer
    kppp is the best for kde i think..look at modem commands to check is all are good(maybe there is a wrong string or whatever..).but in my opinion if you connect and you can't open pages it's problem of ur isp..so i would suggest to contact them
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    As soon as I log in again using Gnome, I get full access , and it works fine using Windows, so my ISP is not to blame.

Linux Engineer
    have you enabled a firewall for your system over ppp?that may causes the proble..if so try to disable firewall to see if it works and then reconfigure it..
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    I dialed up without using KPPP, ('start > system settings > network' and activating the dialup). I'm happy that it now works, but would like an easier way to do it! How do I create a shortcut to that?

Linux Engineer
    open a terminal window and then type :
    Code:
    cd /opt/kde3/bin
    then type:
    Code:
    chmod 777 kppp
    and then
    Code:
     ln kppp /root/Desktop
    go to the desktop click kppp and it will start .
    Linux For Ever!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast