Find the answer to your Linux question:
First off, I am really new to Linux. The company I work for inherited a Linux Fedora computer. They use this to complete orders through a pharmacuetical company. The Company ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Remote Access Issue

First off, I am really new to Linux. The company I work for inherited a Linux Fedora computer. They use this to complete orders through a pharmacuetical company. The Company is requesting remote access to this station, but I am not sure how to allow the access. We use VNC to access remote PC's and I can VNC from the Linux station to any other station, but cannot VNC to the Fedora station.

My questions are how to change/view the network settings. Also is their a list of linux commands similiar to windows command prompt.

Linux Newbie
    Hello Jason,

What kind of remote access you looking for ? there are tones of ways you can access linux box.

- If you want to access box remotely then rdesktop is a utility.
    - If you just want to data access on the box, you can configure nfs,ftp etc.
    - You can even make your linux act like router which will redirect your queries to internal boxes.

It will be great, If you clarify your problem with exaple.
    bigunix.blogspot.com
    Registered Linux User: #476440

Just Joined!
    Sorry for the lack of explanation. I work for a Hospital, we have a pharmacuetical RX30 machine that creates and transfers pharmacy orders throughout the hospital. The director of this dept. wants access from her PC to the linux computer to access files, change orders, add/remove files. This computer is the only linux machine in the hospital and no one really knows anything about it. We use VNC on all our PC's and the linux has VNC also. From the linux I can VNC to any other PC, but cannot VNC to the linux from any other PC. So what i need to to be able to VNC to the linux from her PC.

check the vnc server setting on you nix box specially on which host / ip your vnc server will going to accept the connection to. --allow host1, host2

otherwise, check your current firewall is not blocking your vnc incoming port

Linux Newbie
    If your director just want to access/modify/remove files, there is no need to access box. Configure samba service on linux box and share files folders on the box which your boss access. Its much better and quicker option than accessing whole box.

Quick HOWTO : Ch10 : Windows, Linux, and Samba - Linux Home Networking

Please follow this document, it has explained it very neatly.
    If you dont understand anything please let me know.... i would like to help you out.
    in case you want to chat .... my yahoo id - nilesh_patil82@yahoo.com
    bigunix.blogspot.com
    Registered Linux User: #476440