Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I have posted this message under the Mandrake forum but have had no replies so I though I would try here because it seems more appropriate. Could someone please ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installing speedtouch 330

Hi

I have posted this message under the Mandrake forum but have had no replies so I though I would try here because it seems more appropriate.
    Could someone please outline how to set up a Speedtouch 330 USB modem under Mandrake or any other distro. I have sort of reach the step where they ask about what type of connection host to host etc by have no idea what I should be doing. Also once it is all install how will I connect, is there an icon or do I do it under KPPP? Also can I also have a 56K modem installed at the same time.
    Thank you for reading this message and for any help that can be given

Confused

Linux Engineer
    firstly you should be sure that usb modem is recognised...open kppp and then select device /dev/usb/ttyACMx where x is the usb port you have plugged the modem.then go to section query modem to see if it is recognised.if yes configure your isp settings and connect..
    if you use a non usb modem (com connected ) use /dev/modem or /dev/ttySx.
    remember that many usb modems require kernel compilation in order to be recognised and get the right module loaded in kernel to make the modem work
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    Dear Stathisx

Thank you for the advice, I am about to try and put it into practice

Confused

Linux Engineer
    waiting for you post >>
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    Hi

I have tried the advice but did not find the appropriate USB device. Is there a way to probe the USB devices to find which one my modem is on? I only have two. I very my well not found anything because I messed by the installation. However, I have reinstalled mandrake and will try again.
    I am also having trouble finding the mgmt.0 file which Mandrake says (when I install) I will find on speedtouch-20011007.tar.z2. I have download this and cannot find it any where.
    The installation programe also said I could use alcaudsl.sys. Which I have found but I am not too sure about installing it. Though the howto that comes with the speedtouch download says one can.

Just Joined!
    Hi

I have found and copied the mgmt.o file. However, I am still not able to conntect to net. I have contacted pipex and will the connection method they gave. I think I may be making a mistake some where becasue I keep on going back to computer config in order to try and change the adsl connection method is there is better method?