Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I am installing Ubuntu on a machine on my campus and just realized why I don't have internet....we have to log in to a network and that's what ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Connet to net through Windows network

Hi All,

I am installing Ubuntu on a machine on my campus and just realized why I don't have internet....we have to log in to a network and that's what gets the net up. How do I set it up so that I can log in in Ubuntu (I've never done this before so I can constitute as a newbie on this question ) Is there an easy program that will allow me to do it? I would say I have "medium" access, I don't have admin privledges or anything like that -- I do on the individual machine but not on the internet as a whole. Thanks!

I wish I had admin privileges for the internet as a whole .

How do you login from a Windows machine? Web-based?

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

haha internet as a whole haha I meant network as a whole although, full privileges to the net as a whole would be interesting We log in to the network at boot from XP...I'm not exactly sure what that is called but it's not web based, it's just the xp box that asks for username and password.

Do you mean thorough a domain? I'm going to assume if it is at the login screen, you are logging into the Active Directory. Am I right?

Bryan
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)

I am terrible with networking but yes it is through a domain. When I log in it just takes me to the desktop, has all of my accounts settings (such as background, my own documents, etc...). I didn't realize that there was no net without login until I used the live cd (Hardy Beta) and I had no net, then my buddy pointed out that I hadn't logged in to the network. Thank for being patient with me, I am really a novice when it comes to networking issues.

Unfortunately, I have no experience adding a Linux box to an AD. Thus, I suggest you look at this Ubuntu wiki article about adding to the domain.

Good luck and report back any errors.

Bryan