Find the answer to your Linux question:
I tried Ubuntu, but found that it did not support 56K modems "out of the box," tho I am sure that such a sophiscated program is capable of being make ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

56K modem support

I tried Ubuntu, but found that it did not support 56K modems "out of the box," tho I am sure that such a sophiscated program is capable of being make to do that. As a newbie with no Linux distro running I am not about to tackle that.

I would like to know which of the popular distros do handle 56K modems without any hassle. (A couple of names will suffice.)

An advance Thank you for your help.

Seabee9

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    External serial (rs232) modems and most external usb modems, usually work out of the box regardless of the OS. If you are using an internal software driven modem (winmodems as they are called), it probably will only work on windows although drivers for linux maybe available at linmodems.

Just Joined!

56k modem support

Thanks, Daark.child,
    For your reply and the link for a possible needed driver. I take it that [U]internal[U] modems on a Windows system will [U]never[U]work with a Linux program. Correct?

Ed

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by seabee9@localnet.com View Post
    I take it that [U]internal[U] modems on a Windows system will [U]never[U]work with a Linux program.
    Not true, many internal modems work. What modem are you using? It is probably listed when you run the command lspci

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Some will work. Checkout the link I posted for a list of those that are supported in Linux.

Just Joined!
    A little late in getting back to you.

The other day my connection was dropped in the middle of my wandering from msg to msg and site to site.

Don't have all of the data I found, but here's what I was able to save --

Rob Clark's info is dead! I got to his new site on which he says his data covers only older modems and is not up-to-date.

I may be wrong, but the scan modem program is only Linux. However, when I check (via Belarc) I found that my modem is a
    PCI Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP
    Hope that helps in determing what is needed in getting Linux to recognize it.

I did find mention of three Linux programs (kppp, smppd and kinternet) that may help, plus something called system-config-network.

Again, make sure you do not have a WinModem.

This is not a real HayesAT Command Set compatiable telephone modem.
    A WinModem is a simple glorified telephone interface with an Analog-to-Digital Converter (A/D) for Rx and Digital-to-Analog Converter (D/A) for Tx.
    Software driver runs a DSP (Digital Signal Processor) algorithm that does the modulatin/demodulation (modem).

So you can see that if it is a Windows OS, the Windows Driver is an interrupt driven DSP software engine that emulates a true modem.

These are evil devices.
    They eat up lots of computing horsepower for at best a 54kbit network interface.
    They are popular because they are much cheaper than putting the DSP engine in hardware.

56kbaud/54kbps you have my pity.
    Never will I go back to the telephone modem; I shudder at the thought.

Just Joined!
    Unfortunately, I have a PCI Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP, which I assume is a WinModem.

Still waiting for the answer which will answer the problem. It's out there somewhere and will probably come in any day.

According to this page, your modem's chipset is Conexant and is indeed a "Winmodem." Conexant has shown little if any interest over the years in supporting their products under Linux. There is a company called Linuxant however that makes Linux drivers for these devices, but at a price. They aren't greedy, they just have to eat too.

If it is an option for you, perhaps also consider buying a good external usb/serial modem, most all of which work with Linux. Besides, you'll get better connectivity and performance from an external modem in Linux AND Windows. I have used (and recommend) the Actiontec V92 external modem. They are very affordable and give years of dependable service. You can also pick one up off eBay for less than ten dollars but you have to factor in the high cost of shipping.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Thanks, Dapper Dan,
    For the information, especially for checking out the chipset.

I suppose getting an external modem is the answer, so as soon as I decide on which distro I am going to use I'll get one. In the meantime, I'll check on the Actiontec V92.

I downloaded the "Linux is not Windows" article and will read it when I log off.

Thanks again for your very informative and complete post.

Seabee9