Find the answer to your Linux question:
is it possible to have 2 same IP ads of 2 guest OS in virtual box? the guests are VL5.8 and OpenSuse10.3 --- i have tried to RE INSTALL OpenSuse ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

2 guest OS in virtual box.. both IP are the same

is it possible to have 2 same IP ads of 2 guest OS in virtual box? the guests are VL5.8 and OpenSuse10.3

--- i have tried to RE INSTALL OpenSuse but still its IP is always the same as VL5.8

the problem is. . . I cannot use firefox for internet on both guest OS BUT internet connection / surfing goes OK with konqueror in VL only..

items considered:

1. using proxies for both guest OS
    2. used DHCP
    3 using eth0 as the NIC.
    4. network setting in virtual box is NAT

i have been spending almost half of my day for this i have tried some forum answers but still no response to my situation
    P4 1.8, 1G DDR ram, 64mb GF2 MX400, 80G WD and 40G Maxtor, ECS mobo. Playing XP,Slack 12.0 and Vector Linux 5.8 GOLD, STD 6.0 Zenwalk 4.6.1, OpenBSD 3.9

If you have only one NIC in the PC, then it would make sense that you have only one IP addy, because the modem will only read it once for an active session, no matter how many guest OS's you have running. The only thing I can figure that may work for you is to get a router, and install a second NIC in the computer. While I've never done so myself, you should be able to bind one guest OS to eth0, and the other to eth1. That way, the router will give a separate connection , and therefore another IP.

Hope it helps!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    If you have only one NIC in the PC, then it would make sense that you have only one IP addy, because the modem will only read it once for an active session, no matter how many guest OS's you have running. The only thing I can figure that may work for you is to get a router, and install a second NIC in the computer. While I've never done so myself, you should be able to bind one guest OS to eth0, and the other to eth1. That way, the router will give a separate connection , and therefore another IP.

Hope it helps!
    oic so its normal to have same IPs thanks. btw i have configured eth0 to VL and eth1 to the other guest OS, OpenSUse. so they now have different IPs.. however.. in SUSE it cannot connect to the internet still with both browsers
    P4 1.8, 1G DDR ram, 64mb GF2 MX400, 80G WD and 40G Maxtor, ECS mobo. Playing XP,Slack 12.0 and Vector Linux 5.8 GOLD, STD 6.0 Zenwalk 4.6.1, OpenBSD 3.9

Well... like I said, I've never tried to use multiple connections at the same time. But as far as the connection with FireFox, have you made sure that it's not selected to 'Work Offline'? Or is it using any type of proxy connection?
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Well... like I said, I've never tried to use multiple connections at the same time. But as far as the connection with FireFox, have you made sure that it's not selected to 'Work Offline'? Or is it using any type of proxy connection?
    actually the confusing thing here is that.. in Suse the 2 browsers does not work.. BUT in my VL (same guest OS with suse) konqueror connects but ffox doesnt. .

considering i use the same proxies. .

and yes the WORKOFFLINE is not checked. . .

To be honest, I'm kinda out of ideas here. I've never done anything with VM, but if you can surf with a browser in one of your OS's then you should be able to work with the others as well.
    Maybe one of the other members with experience with VM will hop in with more info.

Sorry I couldn't be more help!
    Jay

New Member FAQ