Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I really need a tool to understand my home's (i.e. various PCs/Xbox etc) usage of my internet allocation. I run a linux based firewall. Are there any good linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question tool to breakdown family internet usage, per PC, per Day???

Hi,

I really need a tool to understand my home's (i.e. various PCs/Xbox etc) usage of my internet allocation. I run a linux based firewall. Are there any good linux based software packages you could recommend for this? (i.e. all my traffic goes through my ClarkConnect - Server and Gateway - Linux Small Business Server SBS box at the moment). What I'm after is:

[1] Tool that summarises my family's internet bandwidth usage (on ppp0) per internal IP address/PC, per day, per upload/download?

[2] As a bonus it would be great if the report [1] above could also be configured to break down the traffic based on hours of the day, i.e. to compare against the ISP Peak & OffPeak bandwidth limits.

Regards
    Greg

sure - I'm running ClarkConnect - Server and Gateway - Linux Small Business Server SBS software on a dedicated PC (i.e. linux based firewall). It has 2 NIC cards so one side goes to my ADSL modem and the other to my bridge for the internet network.

I've been trying ntop/rrd on it but I'm having problems with RRD at the moment, so I'm still not convinced or know whether this will provide me with what I'm after (I have posted on the ntop mailing list but no replies so far).

I was hoping there was a tool that specifically targets what I'm after that I could discover and then install.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by asymptote View Post
    Ok - have you updated all your packages and run vista update?
    vista? Clarkconnect is linux (redhat) based. But I have just recently installed ntop per:

apt-get -f -u install ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/download....3.el4.i386.rpm
    apt-get -f -u install ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/download....3.el4.i386.rpm
    apt-get -f -u install ftp://linuxsoft.cern.ch/dag/redhat/e...l4.rf.i386.rpm

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Question

Are there any Linux guru's out there that can recommend a linux tool that can do what I'm after? (i.e. running on my linux firewall box - which as ADSL modem on one NIC, and my internal lan running on the other NIC card)

[1] Tool that summarises my family's internet bandwidth usage (on ppp0) per internal IP address/PC, per day, per upload/download?

[2] As a bonus it would be great if the report [1] above could also be configured to break down the traffic based on hours of the day, i.e. to compare against the ISP Peak & OffPeak bandwidth limits.