Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I don't understand USING dsl. Just when I was congratulating myself on downloading and booting dsl (for my home-use laptop) with a live cd I got stuck! How wiuld ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Angry Unintelligible dsl

Hi, I don't understand USING dsl. Just when I was congratulating myself on downloading and booting dsl (for my home-use laptop) with a live cd I got stuck!
    How wiuld you save dsl docs eg on to a flash stick?
    How do you get online - In Windows I have wireless broadband connection.
    Firefox on Linux says it fails to find the linux website.
    How do you do anything with Linux applications? (?media, ?create or search directories, ?bluetooth uploading from camera.
    What a disappointment!

Linux User
    DSL is designed as a small distro, as such it doesn't do alot of things automatically, if you want automation you might be better using something like Ubuntu.

To setup wireless networking in DSL, open the menu, go to Setup-->Net Setup-->wlcardconfig
    You need to mount usb/cd/floppy disks before you can access them, in DSL open the menu and go to XShells-->Root Access--> choose any of the 3 options, type "mount -t auto /dev/sda1 /mnt/cdrom" without the ""'s and hit enter, you then can access your cd/usb stick/floppy in /mnt/cdrom. Unmount the device before removing it "umount /dev/sda1".
    DSL is pretty restricted in what media it can play, again this is to keep it small and llight, however open the menu and go to Apps-->Sound-->Xmms which you can play some sound formats with (including CD's).
    File browsing/creation is generally done from the command line in DSL, again this is to keep it small and light. There are some basic browsing capabilities if you double click on the home icon on the desktop though.

Once you have your network setup you can browse 'MyDSL' where you can install more applications for file browsiing, easier mounting/unmounting, using bluetooth devices (I think, never tried it), and playing movies and other audio formats.

DSL is brilliant for old hardware, and when you just want a basic system, but don't expect it to do everything though, as I've said a couple of times, it is designed to be small and light... if you want a 'full featured' Linux system you would be better using one of the bigger distributions (Ubuntu/SuSe/Fedora/etc).

Just Joined!
    Dear Darkrose0510
    Thank you for your helpful reply.
    Which other live cd distro would you best recommend for me to download and burn to cd/dvd?
    I do not want to install to dard disk and I am therefore wondering WHERE my docs can be saved - on a USB key?

Linux User
    I think all the major (Fedora/Ubuntu/SuSe/ even Gentoo) distro's provide a liveCD option now, the best option would be for you to try them all till you get one you like; all of them will automount your USB stick so you can save your files there.

Personally, I'd recommend Ubuntu, soley because I've used their live CD on numerous occassions, I don't have much experience with the other live CD's.

Just Joined!
    Hi darkrose
    I took your advice, and now have Live CD's for Kubunu, Mandriva and Puppy. But although I keep touring around distros, I never get one to "see" my wireless broadband which works perfectly on Windows. On all Linux, the network is always disconnected and I don't know what I could enter for locating a connection.
    Always 1 steo forward, 2 steps back just trying to get started.

Linux User
    What kind of network card do you have? some wireless cards are still tricky under Linux (due to their makers refusing to help with Linux drivers, or spec's to write our own). Open a terminal/konsole (will likely be found under system or accessories in the menu) and post the output of:
    Code:
    lspci
    which will list all the pci devices in your system, including your wireless card.

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your suggestion.
    I tried as you said. But in both Kubuntu and Mandriva KDE terminals I got the same response Ispci "command not found". From Win XP I checked I have a Broadcom PCI bus 5 device function 0. Driver file 2/11/05 3.`00.64.0 Cat. file BCM4 3xx .CAT with Realtek RTL8 139/810 x Family Fast Ethernet MC. Is this what needs to be known?
    Are you really in Queensland? Hope its not night-time there - 20.05 here.

i'm not sure how far you can get without doing a hard drive install

broadcom cards usually work best with ndiswrapper and the windows driver, since that is proprietary ubuntu can't legally ship it with their distribution, which is why you can't get your card working out of the box, if they had an open source driver it would be different

Linux User
    There is a howto available for ubuntu here: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards - Ubuntu Forums
    Using the ndiswrapper method you should be able to get online without having to do a harddrive install... unfortunately you've probably got the worst possible wireless card for Linux as Broadcom seem to go out of their way to stop their cards working with Linux
    If you could get a different wireless card, it would be alot easier.

Just Joined!
    The UbuntuHowTo instructions for using ndiswrapper seem to be about "installing" it. Will it be installed just to Ubunto via terminal on my Live CD - I want to avoid installing to my hard drive.
    I am losing the plot of this - But it would be brilliant to get it working!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast