Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
something is messed up with my ethernet driver. i have hte p4p800 which has onboard gigabit ethernet. i downloaded and installed the driver from www.asus.com and its working most of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

google.com wont load

something is messed up with my ethernet driver. i have hte p4p800 which has onboard gigabit ethernet. i downloaded and installed the driver from www.asus.com and its working most of the time, but google, along with AIM and misc. other stuff wont load while some stuff will. does anyone know what the deal is?

Linux Engineer
    other pages load?have you checked the firewall settings?maybe something is blocking your external interfaces(eth0 for you)..
    Linux For Ever!

Linux Newbie
    If some sites load and some don't then check your /etc/hosts file. Or, maybe it is a DNS problem. Does pinging the sites that won't open work ?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    can you browse google by its ip?
    i.e. instead of going to www.google.com going to 216.239.36.10?
    -lakerdonald

Just Joined!
    i tried doing the IP, but to no avail. so i guess its not a DNS issue.

perhaps it has something to do with my router and network? i have a linksys router that runs DHCP, if that helps at all.

so far i've noticed that google and gaim wont work. but most other things do, i.e. this forum.

Code:
    ifconfig eth0 down
    ifconfig eth0 up
    this should release and renew the ip address, this solves some problems for me sometimes
    try it.
    if it doesnt work let me know
    -lakerdonald

Just Joined!
    no dice .

when i did

Code:
    ifconfig eth0 down
    ifconfig eth0 up
    it stopped working, and i had to restart and reload the mod to get it working again . oh, and for what its worth, i checked my /etc/hosts and saw that only loopback IPs were there.

hmmm... did you check your router to see if its correctly given out an IP address to your computer? And maybe try to restart your router.

Just Joined!
    well, my router is configured to start giving out random ips starting at 192.168.1.100

there are five computers on the network. whenever i log on to slackware and type insmod 3c2000.o, i get 192.168.1.100

just thinking of things that might make a difference: slackware 10 is on a slaved HDD, so could logging off windows on my master HDD and then logging onto slackware mess anything up?

does the penguin hate me? i just want to learn about him and all he does is make google not work .

maybe its the driver itself? has anybody else had experience with this particular mobo? (asus P4P800)

does anyone think my putting in a different ethernet device in oh say, a pci slot and using that would make it work?

thanks,
    --mori

I highly doubt that either the driver, mobo, hdd, or NIC has anything to do with your problem. What type of browser do you use?
    -lakerdonlad

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast