Find the answer to your Linux question:
Finally got my Atmel drivers from Berlios.de working on my Linux from Scratch system (Kernel 2.6.5), but trying to get them loaded properly has proven to be almost as interesting. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Getting wlan0 to autoload/configure?

Finally got my Atmel drivers from Berlios.de working on my Linux from Scratch system (Kernel 2.6.5), but trying to get them loaded properly has proven to be almost as interesting.

For some reason, the system is not recognizing that it needs to load the drivers, and so I've had to add an S15atmel script in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d to make sure that the "modprobe -v at76c505-rfmd2859" command is issued before the network script is called. This gets wlan0 up in time for the gateway to be setup properly by /etc/sysconfig/network. However, the process doesn't wait on the drivers to be completely loaded, and so I am having to do a manual iwconfig after I login to get wlan0 properly initialized. This is happening even though I've setup a ifconfig.wlan0 in /etc/sysconfig/network-devices that has a "WIRELESS_ESSID' and a "WIRELESS_MODE" line that "should" be configuring the device.

So, instead of adding an rc script, what "should" I be doing to get the atmel driver loaded, and instead of manually typing an iwconfig line at the command prompt, what "should" I be doing to get the device properly configured?

Having to go through this right now is a pain rather than a stopping block (doing all this gets things working properly), but I'd like to avoid making a habit of this - particularly when I start setting up other machines with this.

Thanks,
    Ewan

Just Joined!
    Is the problem that this is something that is so easy y'all can't believe I'm having trouble with this, that it's so hard that the solution I've given is the best you can think of, or just so uninteresting that reading what I had to do put you to sleep?

Inquiring minds and all that