Find the answer to your Linux question:
I reaally need to cap my uplad speed in mandrake 10 because when i upload my download rate drops to 1 or 2 and i have 128/32k adsl connection shared ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

upload cap

I reaally need to cap my uplad speed in mandrake 10 because when i upload my download rate drops to 1 or 2 and i have 128/32k adsl connection shared on a winxp machine on a network. i dont have a router i just use the shared connection here... well i'm also a newbie for linux but moderate in windows please me what to do

A little digging turned this up:

http://lartc.org/lartc.html#LARTC.QDISC

Basically, you use QoS (which is a kernel module) to throttle the bandwidth. The above link explains how to do this in detail (probably more than you want ).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    heyy thanx a lot for the link dude its been just a few days i joined this forum and i started to love it

Just Joined!
    well I got to a point where I cannot divide the upload and download traffic so i can cap one
    here is what im doing:
    tc qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 1: cbq avpkt 1000 bandwidth 100mbit
    tc class add dev eth0 parent 1: classid 1:1 cbq rate 20kbit allot 1500 prio 5 bounded isolated
    tc filter add dev eth0 parent 1: protocol ip prio 16 u32 match ip dport 4662 0xffff flowid 1:1
    tc filter add dev eth0 parent 1: protocol ip prio 16 u32 match ip sport 4662 0xffff flowid 1:1

if i enter only one of the last two then nothing works but iwhen both entered it also limits the download along with the upload....
    how can i do it any ideas? yes im doing it for edonkey as with the 4662 port

Just Joined!
    edonkey clients have "build-in" dl/ul cap