Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running redhat 7.1 and I'm trying to get the ethernet up and running. Here is the situation. - I have a linksys router hooked up to a cable modem ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RH7 connection problem

I'm running redhat 7.1 and I'm trying to get the ethernet up and running. Here is the situation.

- I have a linksys router hooked up to a cable modem (comcast).
    - my windows boxes work but neither of my linux boxes can connect.
    - I can talk to the router with linux, and the linux boxes can talk to each other but I can't get past the router to the outside.
    - my windows boxes acquire an IP address at startup while my linux boxes have them fixed (in the hosts file) as 192.168.1.101-102 which is in the range specified in the router's configuration file
    - when I change my windows boxes to fixed IP addresses they get the same error message in the browser as the linux boxes get

So, I think that having my linux boxes get an IP address from the router would solve the problem, but I don't know for sure, and if I was, I don't know how to make it so.

Any help is appreciated.

Are you setting a gateway and DNS server when you set your IP manually? Also...why not have the Linux boxen get their IP from the router's DHCP server?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    >> Are you setting a gateway and DNS server when you set your IP manually?

I don't think so.

>> Also...why not have the Linux boxen get their IP from the router's DHCP server?

This is what I would like to do, but I don't know how to set it up.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    you dont have to set it up, thats the point of DHCP, you basicaly plug in play, try just plugging in the ethernet cable, rebooting and seeing whats up. If you have problems, type ifconfig into the CLI (command line interface) and post the outcome here.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    I'd also be curios to see what the output of route -n is. Also I dont think that you configure your ip settings in /etc/hosts. Have you tried using ifconfig -add 192.168.x.x -broadcast 192.168.x.x -netmask 255.255.255.0 yet? Alternatively you can use the rh control panels to change your network settings.

On the distro I use the command to get an ip via dhcp is dhcpd.

Just Joined!
    I figured it out. I was assigning an IP address to eth0 and at the same time telling the computer that it should be configured through DCHP.

Thanks for your help.