Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Guys, I've searched high and low on Google, and on these forums (and others) for hours now, but can't really find what I'm looking for. I have a new motherboard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

[SOLVED] Realtek RTL8111C Controller Compatibility

Guys, I've searched high and low on Google, and on these forums (and others) for hours now, but can't really find what I'm looking for.

I have a new motherboard due to arrive in a few days and am trying to determine in advance if I'll need to download and compile the r8168 driver from the Realtek website in order to have a working network connection, or if the r8169 driver included with the kernel by default will now work with the RTL8111C LAN chip? I do know from other posts here and there that there were lots of problems a few months ago when trying to use the r8169 driver with that chip.

Do any of you happen to know if the r8168 driver has been merged with the r8169 driver in the most recent kernel releases, or would you happen to be running the 8111c chip and it's working well with the current r8169 driver?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    Just what I was afraid would happen, did happen.

The new board arrived, I installed Linux and then couldn't get on line with the 8111c chip controlling the lan port. The 2.6.25.10 kernel uses the Realtek r8169 driver but this chip needs the r8168 driver, and that driver doesn't seem to have been absorbed into the kernel yet, or merged in with the r8169 driver that goes into the kernel.

It's strange because every once in a while, it will work. Reboot though, and your chances of it still working are not good. I tried several times to compile the Realtek r8168 driver, but couldn't get it to compile correctly.

Still looking for solutions if anyone knows of any.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Oz, out of curiosity.. .did you get the same board as I did ?

Biostar TA780 G M2+ ?

Because I'm having the same problems. Also curious to know if you're using the onboard video and if so, if it's working well for you, without having to install any other drivers.

Doug

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Hi, Sweet Spot

No, mine is the Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4

I generally stick with ASUS boards, but decided to try something different. It's a nice board, but a few things have been giving some problems.

Regarding video... no, mine doesn't have any onboard video. It has onboard audio, but I'm using an Audigy 2 card in its place.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Regardless, both our MoBo's are using the same chip so if you come across a solution I'd be interested in knowing what it is. I'm thinking that buying a separate NIC would be best though at this point. Which one is known to be tried and true ?

Doug

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Spot View Post
    I'm thinking that buying a separate NIC would be best though at this point. Which one is known to be tried and true ?
    I've got an extra card on hand that I'm going to install so that I can get out of Windows and back into Linux. I'll remove it once I've figured out the fix for the 8111c chip.

For add on cards, look at the Linkysys LNE100TX. It's been around almost forever, and they still produce them. They also work well with Linux. NewEgg has them for under $20, I think.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    Update...

I've finally got internet under Linux again, but the real problem (8111c chip & r8168/r8169 driver) remains unsolved.

After digging around in my spare parts box, I put a Cnet Pro200WL card in that uses the 'tulip' driver, and it didn't work. It showed as UP in ifconfig, but nothing would go up or down across the connection. I took it out and replaced it with a card that uses the 8139 Realtek drivers and that worked. Had that failed, I was going to try the old standby, Linksys LNE100TX that I have on hand. Don't know if it was really necessary, but I disabled the two onboard 8111c controllers in the BIOS.

Now all that's needed is a fix so the redundant card can be removed and I can use the default controllers on the new motherboard.

BTW: I did find a patch that's supposed to fix this, but it's for the 2.6.26-rc6 kernel:

Index of /~romieu/r8169/2.6.26-rc6
    Last edited by oz; 07-13-2008 at 08:51 PM. Reason: added more info
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Spot View Post
    Which one is known to be tried and true ?
    Sweet Spot, I started having various issues with my realtek driven spare network card (8139 drivers) so had to drop the Linksys card (tulip driver) suggested above in its place, and it's working much better as an interim solution to the real problem at hand.

I've gotta tell you though, just from my experiences over the last week with realtek chips (under Linux), I'm going to be avoiding them in all of my future purchases, at least until they have better support for Linux.

Hope it works out well for you.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Yeesh, sounds like a real mess to deal with. Realtek=bad, gotcha. But the card you suggested, does it support the fastest speeds available ? I'm so dumb, I wish I had taken out the NIC from the pc I trashed... (idiot me).

So, if anybody has any suggestions for a new NIC which works straight out the box, please chime in.

Good luck to you too.

Doug

Just Joined!
    Oz, have you seen this thread on the Ubuntu forums ? :

HOWTO FIX no link detected Realtek 8168/8169 cards - Page 6 - Ubuntu Forums

Let me know what you find. Also, I read another thread on there, the "compatibility" thread, and someone has the same onboard NIC, and is using mythbuntu and says it's working right out the box.

Doug

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast