Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, I'm trying to set up a little home web server to be accessible to people outside of our lan, but I've run into a few troubles. The web ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Web server behind firewall

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to set up a little home web server to be accessible to people outside of our lan, but I've run into a few troubles. The web server is set up and works correctly if I type in it's internal IP address (192.168.0.3), the problem occurs when I'm trying to connect to it from outside.

I have 3 computers here, 2 are set up for standard home use, web browsing etc, and the 3rd is the web server. They are networked together using a Netgear wired router, which is connected via ethernet to a DSL modem (which itself also acts as a mini router, but only has 1 port, so not good for 3 pcs).

The problem that I am seeing at the moment is when I type in my external IP address, I get greeted with my modems login screen, to which I can log in if I want. What I want it to do is to forward the http request on to my server on the internal network. I have tried forwarding port 80 straight to the server from the modem, but this has no effect. I have also tried forwarding port 80 on the modem through to the other router, and then forwarding that on to my server, but all I get is my modems login screen when I visit my external IP address. My web server unfortunately only has 1 ethernet port, otherwise I'd set it up as the router to simplify things.

I also don't want to lose my internet connection from the other computers. Does anyone know how I could get this all working correctly, or is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT : I actually meant "web server behind router" as my thread title, but for some reason wrote firewall, sorry.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by neutrix View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm trying to set up a little home web server to be accessible to people outside of our lan, but I've run into a few troubles. The web server is set up and works correctly if I type in it's internal IP address (192.168.0.3), the problem occurs when I'm trying to connect to it from outside.

I have 3 computers here, 2 are set up for standard home use, web browsing etc, and the 3rd is the web server. They are networked together using a Netgear wired router, which is connected via ethernet to a DSL modem (which itself also acts as a mini router, but only has 1 port, so not good for 3 pcs).

The problem that I am seeing at the moment is when I type in my external IP address, I get greeted with my modems login screen, to which I can log in if I want. What I want it to do is to forward the http request on to my server on the internal network. I have tried forwarding port 80 straight to the server from the modem, but this has no effect. I have also tried forwarding port 80 on the modem through to the other router, and then forwarding that on to my server, but all I get is my modems login screen when I visit my external IP address. My web server unfortunately only has 1 ethernet port, otherwise I'd set it up as the router to simplify things.

I also don't want to lose my internet connection from the other computers. Does anyone know how I could get this all working correctly, or is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT : I actually meant "web server behind router" as my thread title, but for some reason wrote firewall, sorry.
    What are your hardware specs? Router brand/model?

Sounds like you just need to change the port that the admin console run on in your router.

Have you validated your using the correct external IP
    by using.. What Is My IP Address? - Lookup IP, Hide IP, Change IP, Trace IP and more... ?

Just Joined!
    My modem is a creative broadband blaster 8133U-C1, and my router is a netgear RP614v2. Yeah, I used "what is my ip" to get my external address in the first place, and I am pretty sure it is correct as it allowed me to log into my router. Changing the port that the admin console runs on sounds like a good idea, but I have absolutely no idea how to go about doing it, or if it is even possible. Is that sort of thing brand specific?

Thanks.

Just Joined!
    Have a look here..
    It is and aritcle from netgear for your specific model router that shows how to setup port forwarding...

How is Port Forwarding Configured?

In most cases, you should be able to define the forwarding configs for port 80 and it should work.

I have some appliances from netgear, and the various functionality isn't usually brand specific, how you go about changing them is.

Please update the forum if it works/doesn't work.

cheers,

Your tests are only valid if you try to connect from outside
    your network, like from a friend's house. From inside your
    own network, connecting to your public address may give
    inconsistent or misleading results, depending on your
    router.

Also, you could possibly eliminate the router and just use
    a switch, if the modem has the capability of DHCP. It might
    simplify your troubleshooting.

With the router in place, you must port forward port 80
    through both the modem and the router, and then have
    someone outside your network attempt to reach the server.

Just Joined!
    Thank you everyone for your help. It turns out that the issue was just a local thing, and when I asked people to connect from outside of our private network it forwarded them on correctly to the page on my server. I suppose it kind of makes sense though, if it forwarded my requests on to my server when I tried to access my router, then I would never be able to get into my router to change the settings again, which doesn't really make any sense. Anyway, everything is resolved now, thanks again!