Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a wired network card connected to a SMC Barricade adsl router/modem. For over a year now I have been using pppoe to manage my broadband connection. Everything I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Red face Amazing discovery! I don't need pppoe after all

I have a wired network card connected to a SMC Barricade adsl router/modem. For over a year now I have been using pppoe to manage my broadband connection. Everything I had read suggested that this was how you had to do it. The connection came up slowly and laboriously with many PAD0 errors but once up, it worked OK. Now I have discovered by pure serendippity that all this was quite unnecessary. My router can handle all the ppp stuff by itself without the need to run pppd on my computer. I just need to have eth0 up and my broadband provider's DNS server addresses in /etc/resolv.conf.

Why did no-one tell me this before? All the literature you read suggests that pppoe is the only way to run an adsl connection.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

Whoah! Sorry about that. I've always assumed that people using pppoe was because their router didn't support it! Any broadband I've had through a genuine router rather than some kind of soft modem works automatically on any device once it gets an address. That's PS2, Xbox 360, Linux, BSD, Windows...

Next time someone asks me about PPPoE I'll make sure to ask why

I guess you can now enjoy the benefits of NetworkManager!

oz
    forum.guy
    lol... yeah, I've not used pppoe in years. I thought it was all pretty much only found in the history books these days.

Glad you were able to escape its boundries.
    oz