Find the answer to your Linux question:
I never really thought about this. But I have been more and more interested in, for ex. OpenDNS, PowerDNS, etc. Currently I use only OpenDNS servers, none of my ISP's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How does my ISP work

I never really thought about this. But I have been more and more interested in, for ex. OpenDNS, PowerDNS, etc. Currently I use only OpenDNS servers, none of my ISP's DNS servers.

This got me thinking. How does it actually work with an ISP? I know I get my connection from them and my dynamic IP address from them, but I don't know the process of it all on the tech side of it.

Can anyone help me with this or point me somewhere that has this info?

Thanks in advance,

Edit: Oh, Hello. I am new here. I suppose I should have introduced myself, but for me computers come first. lol.

dns is used to resolve domain names to IP addresses, typically when your ISP gives you a connection usually its dhcp and its configured to send you IP addresses for domain name servers to use, but you can use any domain name server as long as you know the IP of it

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

You can get additional information from here:

HowStuffWorks "The Internet: Computer Network Hierarchy"
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thank you for the welcome and info.

This link is great. It explains everything I wanted to know and it even explains the questions I have BEFORE I have them, lol.

Just Joined!
    So from what I read, does this sound right?

Individual computers, LANS, etc connect to a Point of Presence, POP. That is their ISP's network. From their it connects to a Network Access Point, NAP. That is made up of different ISP's POP's. From their these NAPS connect to each other to form the internet.

Now where do DNS servers come in to play. I already know that a browser makes a request for a url, it sends it to a DNS that gets the IP Address and then sends that browsers request there. But is that part of the POP, NAP, Both? Or is it just part of the internet that is made up of all these NAPS?