Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all! I have an Internet connection via PPPoE technology. The provider gives also an access to the so-called mediazone. The instructions for configuring internet-connection, as well as the mediazone ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question What is the difference between routing under Windows and under Linux?

Hi all!

I have an Internet connection via PPPoE technology. The provider gives also an access to the so-called mediazone. The instructions for configuring internet-connection, as well as the mediazone connection are provided only for the windows platform.

To access an internet, I've set a static IP address to one of the 192.168.0.2..254 and so on.
    But for the mediazone, it is necessary to turn the DHCP on.

The problem is:
    - Under Windows it all works fine: I enter ftp://10.253.0.12 in the IE or other ftp-explorer and it all works;
    - Under Linux if I enter "ftp -a 10.253.0.12" in the xterm, I get "destinatioin is unrichable" or something like this.

The workaround I used is:
    - under Windows I enter "route print" in the cmd-Window;
    - under Linux I used the "route" command to manually set the routing table possibly similar to that under Windows.

Then, I hadn't used a connection for a while, now I have checked "route print" under Windows with the previous one. The routing table was changed.

My questions are:
    1. Can someone explain me, why is it so? (I mean, why is the routing table configuration automated under Windows, but under Linux - not)

2. How can (should) it be done under Linux?

3. How the automatic configuration of routing tables can be done?

Thanks to all!

have you properly configured your network interface card? the kernel should take care of setting up the routing table properly as long as the NIC is configured correctly

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by coopstah13 View Post
    have you properly configured your network interface card? the kernel should take care of setting up the routing table properly as long as the NIC is configured correctly
    I don't know, how to configure network cards properly...
    I've used the Yast module.

What do you mean under "properly"? What commands/files should I use for it? For what should I looking for?

I meant correctly when I said properly. I've no experience with Suse unfortunately so I hope someone else can say how to configure network cards in that. Typically what will happen if the card is configured to use DHCP, it will get an IP and gateway information from the dhcp server and then the kernel will automatically create a routing table to use that gateway, which is why I was thinking that the NIC is incorrectly configured.
    Last edited by coopstah13; 08-15-2008 at 12:37 PM. Reason: spelled kernel wrong

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by coopstah13 View Post
    I meant correctly when I said properly. I've no experience with Suse unfortunately so I hope someone else can say how to configure network cards in that. Typically what will happen if the card is configured to use DHCP, it will get an IP and gateway information from the dhcp server and then the kernel will automatically create a routing table to use that gateway, which is why I was thinking that the NIC is incorrectly configured.
    ++

If you want automation, you need to configure your nic to use dhcp, otherwise, you need to configure everything by hand.

Also, note that you were trying to access http under windows, and ftp under linux, they are entirely different ports, so, if you want to make comparisons in a fair manner, try http as well under linux. Ping should be available to make checks as well on both OSes.

Quote Originally Posted by Konstantin Tkachenko View Post
    I don't know, how to configure network cards properly...
    I've used the Yast module.

What do you mean under "properly"? What commands/files should I use for it? For what should I looking for?
    YAST should have an easy-enough way to do so. It's been ages since I used suse so I can't be more concrete. You just need to use dhcp to give an ip address you your nic.