Find the answer to your Linux question:
I currently am an AT&T customer but and have a phone with a 2 year contract so I'm unable to get out of it now. I just purchased a MSI ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Looking for Mobile Phone/AirCard that works with Linux (OpenSUSE) for Internet Use

I currently am an AT&T customer but and have a phone with a 2 year contract so I'm unable to get out of it now.
    I just purchased a MSI Wind that I plan to install OpenSUSE 11.0 on. I want to have mobile internet on the go so am looking at several options.
    I talked to AT&T today about getting their Data Connect plan which is 5G of data for approximately $60/month. They have several USB Modems and also suggested I might just get a phone that I can either tether via Bluetooth or USB Cable for data use.

I also went to Verizon today and looked at similar solutions. They have a similar plan for approximately $60/month and 5G of dataOne phone that I was very interested in is the LG Dare.

The only problem is with everything I looked at they had software and drivers for both Windows and Mac but had no clue about Linux. Since I already have a phone I really only need a modem but if the price is the same for monthly use I figured a phone isn't bad.

For data use is Verizon in general better than AT&T and vice versa? Verizon seemed to be better to me and I really like the LG Dare. Since I'm using OpenSUSE 11 what options would be safe for me? I just want to make sure before I purchase a phone that I can use it with Linux.

I have not tried this with AT&T so I can't comment on that, however I do know that the USB cellular modem from Verizon (model UM150) does work with Ubuntu Linux. I used this tutorial to get it working:

Linux.com :: Get broadband wireless with Verizon EVDO and Linux

I had and subsequently canceled the service with Verizon because it was advertised as "unlimited", and there's actually a limit of 5GB of downloads per month. After that point they start charging you a certain amount per MB. It required a 2-year contract. Early termination was around $200. If you're okay with these limits, then yes, it can work. My only suggestion is to read the fine print in your contract very carefully, particularly where it talks about limits on service.

::EDIT:: Oh, and if you want to buy the modem off me for less than Verizon will charge and you live in the continental US, I'm game.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants