Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello I Would really like to set up some kind of quota management because all my house mates are using up my quota in a matter of weeks! The first ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help for setting up quota restrictions

Hello

I Would really like to set up some kind of quota management because all my house mates are using up my quota in a matter of weeks!

The first thing I think I need to do is set up a proxy server or domain server or turn my server into a router however I don't quite know how how to do this.

I have been looking for programs that manage the quota but cant find any program on the web.

Is there a program that you can set diffrent quota for diffrent people at diffrent times? and set up some sort of shaping and speed restrictions?

Additional info:
    O/S: Don't know yet, leaning towards Ubuntu or Centos
    no of users: 5
    my skill lvl: moderate
    computers: 2 avalable, pentum 4 2.4 GHz

If you require any more info don,t hesitate to ask

thanks.
    Last edited by evilbeing; 08-26-2008 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake

Linux Newbie
    check the man page of edquota ...edquota has an soft and hard limit so that you can setup quota to users.
    Regards
    David Anand
    -->Success is the list of failures ...!!!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by davidanand View Post
    check the man page of edquota ...edquota has an soft and hard limit so that you can setup quota to users.
    Umm.. I think he's talking about internet bandwidth quotas, not disk quotas on a single machine.

Maybe go for an IPCop setup and just throttle the bandwidth to limit their usage?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close